V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New guy to the forum here and have read so much helpful information already…really looking forward to learning more.
Last May when I graduated from college I bought myself a 03 Anniversary 1200 custom. It was my first bike, so that in itself was a big learning experience for me. Getting to my point, I loved the bike, but fell in love with the Dyna Street Bob and bought one this week. On my XL I had done Sampson Big gun exhaust, a Dynojet Thunderslide kit, and a Ness billet sucker stage 2 intake. Now that the new bike has arrived I would like to start playing with it and the first thing I want to do is an exhaust, to give er some sound and maybe a hp or two to the bike. I plan on adding a Ness Big Sucker and I assume that fuel mapping will also be required ….. But with my limited experience I know very little, especially with the twin-cam on what is the best route.
I plan on keeping the bike for a while and I see a 95+” kit a couple years down the road, so what I do now, I want to be useable later if possible.
I’ve read a lot about V&H and some say that they may not be the best route, but I really like the look of the BSS, my prob is that I don’t really want to lose low end performance wit these pipes. What else in the market looks like the BSS but would have a leg up on them in performance?
As far as adding fuel programming goes im starting to get a handle on things but am still very confused on what to do. I mean you have the Power commander, SERT, V&H FuelPak……you get the point. Living in Maine isn’t conductive for a year round riding season and I want to ride more than tune, especially with the new bike. I would be willing to do what ever is the best route however. Will some programmers just piggyback the ECU, or are they all something that you mod on a computer then download onto the bike? Is dyno tuning necessary? I want to get the most out of my mods but can I get very close to perfect without a dyno?
Does the fuel programming and intake have to be done at the same time as the pipes, or can I ride wit the pipes for a few hundred miles while I break in the bike this spring? Should any mods be withheld until breaking is complete?
Thanks for any help, like I said I’m new to the HD scene and none of my buds ride HD (all street bikes), so there no help, lol.

MaineHD

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
Hew Sorry I cant help you with the 1200 but I am sure you can learn a lot here !!! It is a great site be patient and keep asking you'll get good answers
From a fellow Mainah :thumbsup:
Another consideration is what is your riding style, back roads, turnpike, two up, single ?
Would you like low end seat of the pants torque or top end power. Knowing this up front will help with your choices.
Good Luck

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
hotshotfxdl said:
Hew Sorry I cant help you with the 1200 but I am sure you can learn a lot here !!! It is a great site be patient and keep asking you'll get good answers
From a fellow Mainah :thumbsup:
Another consideration is what is your riding style, back roads, turnpike, two up, single ?
Would you like low end seat of the pants torque or top end power. Knowing this up front will help with your choices.
Good Luck
Street Bob is a TC88 motor.:whisper:

Maine HD I can't help with the engine mods, I'm still figuring out what I want. But I can tell you DON'T get a V&H fuelpak, they suck, you can't custom tune with it and the only maps available are for V&H pipes with a couple of options for different HD brand cams. SERT is a modify the map and download to the bike system, Power Commander is a piggyback re-mapping box. Both have their proponents but the best choice for you is the one that your local dyno man uses and has LOTS of experience with. If you really want to get all the low end torque available in the engine then get a quality 2 into 1 pipe. That said if you really like the Big Shot pipes and plan a 95" upgrade you probably won't be lacking in low end grunt once the 95" kit is done.

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Make sure the system you buy has bungs for the 02 sensors on your Dyna.
Not a lot of choices out there yet.

·
"Jane you ignorant slut!"
2,292 Posts
My wife wants a Street Bob, so I've looked into this a little.

The dealership says; You can put on the slip-ons and the air cleaner without any tuning due to the oxygen sensors will adjust as necessary for this level.

I didn't ask them about anything more because she won't need it. But I'd really do my homework on this or you might end up with a bike that won't run right.

Since it's a modification, I'm not thinkin' under warranty either.

Chris

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
MaineHD said:
Now that the new bike has arrived I would like to start playing with it and the first thing I want to do is an exhaust, to give er some sound and maybe a hp or two to the bike. I plan on adding a Ness Big Sucker and I assume that fuel mapping will also be required ….. But with my limited experience I know very little, especially with the twin-cam on what is the best route.
What you're talking about is termed Stage I, essentially high flow air breather + less restricitve exhuast. You will need to reflash your ecm or you'll be too lean. The stage I reflash adds more fuel and raises the rev limiter to 6200 rpm.

MaineHD said:
I plan on keeping the bike for a while and I see a 95+” kit a couple years down the road, so what I do now, I want to be useable later if possible.
If stage II (95 in, heads, perf cams, etc) is in your future, I go with the sert (screaming eagle race tuner). It's a little spendy but (1) comes with a CD that contains all HD reflashes and (2) allows a competent tuner to maximize ther performance of your bike.

You don't have to dyno tune,but you'll want to to get the most out of your build.

BTW, welcome.

wyo

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
jasilva said:
Street Bob is a TC88 motor.:whisper:

Maine HD I can't help with the engine mods, I'm still figuring out what I want. But I can tell you DON'T get a V&H fuelpak, they suck, you can't custom tune with it and the only maps available are for V&H pipes with a couple of options for different HD brand cams. SERT is a modify the map and download to the bike system, Power Commander is a piggyback re-mapping box. Both have their proponents but the best choice for you is the one that your local dyno man uses and has LOTS of experience with. If you really want to get all the low end torque available in the engine then get a quality 2 into 1 pipe. That said if you really like the Big Shot pipes and plan a 95" upgrade you probably won't be lacking in low end grunt once the 95" kit is done.

Joe
Man I guess I should have taken a little more time to read the post. :duh?:
But I got one part right there is plenty of help here !!!!!!!
I kinda stopped after the 1200 part. I was excitied to see someone from Maine other than Springer on here.
It is still important to think about your riding style and what you want.
I would also recommend looking at some of the dyno charts that get posted and the combo's that go with them. Looking back I can see where I could have made some better choices that would have cost a lot less and made more tq (my goal)

·
Life is what you make it
3,568 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts