V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cam chain tensioners are what everyone calls the big killer of the tc88. I have a new to me 2005 road king police. What are the chances the the police department that fielded these bikes replaced anything relating to it? Might be a long shot. Just bear with me I'm new to this forum.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
Slim.....
How many miles?
Edit - that's a long time for a department to keep a bike. Nothing like I'm accustomed to. I'm taking the none out of my answer

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
I doubt they were changed while in service to the department. From what I've seen most are leased and serviced by local dealers, only kept in service one or two years. Traded with very low mileage.
At that mileage I'd invest a little time and a gasket to see what I had.

·
Premium Member
4,486 Posts
NP. Peace of mind is worth the minor aggravation of checking that out.
Congratulations on your new ride, enjoy.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I've done 2 2005 in the last year (friend's bikes) with around that mileage and they were grenades about to explode. Both had tensioners worn to the metal. I would check them for sure. Maybe a cam upgrade too.

·
Super Moderator
19,749 Posts
Pull the cover and have a look. Not much of a job to do that.

If it needs them, then a complete kit with shoes pins and gaskets is $75ish. Add a set of tappets for $125. Service manual for $50-100 used off of ebay. And have at it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2004 Harley Road King Police, replaced my cam chain tensioners with the SE cam chain tensioner upgrade kit. Replaced cams and lifters also, fuel line and module were leaking so replaced that also. New plugs also with total cost just over 2k at dealer. Tensioners were totally worse out. Bike had 24,600 miles.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts