V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 02 Night Train I get a few noises from the left side of the engine. The noise sounds like a timing chain and lifter tap. It is noticable when cold or hot and at Idle and cruising.

Is this a normal sound for the softtails? How high should the primary fluid be when I open the Derby Cover? Thanks 9x23

·
Registered
30 Posts
With your bike on level ground (bike up level as well, not on kick-stand) the oil should be just below the derby cover.

·
Jack ***
470 Posts
My 2002 FXSTS has the same ticking noise from the left side. I just noticed it 2 days ago and I haven't looked at it yet. I have 2900 miles.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took it to the dealer and they said the primary chain was a bit loose so they tightened it. It still makes the noises. It sounds like a dry chain whirling around in the left side. A few people have told me that it is a common noise on the 88B. Its noisy as hell, I can't believe that it is normal.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
I have a 2000 softail and hear the same noise if I am running at a steady rpm. I have almost 10k on mine. I was hoping it was'nt just mine

·
Registered
132 Posts
have an 02 fatboy - no noise, check your shift pedals for rattling, the horn in the cowbell, and all exhaust heat shields - noise travels through the bike in weird ways - seen all the above make strage noises that seem to be coming from areas way away from the source.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have had a 2001 night train that i left stock and i have a modified
2001 fat-boy both werea bit noisy.i have a (B) engine for our school
that we use in teaching.i have studied this engine in great lenghts and
see the balacer chain as the issue.i built a stroker (B) engine and did the following:i polished the cam chain and balancer chain to help prevent wear.i also lighten the balancer them selfs. not as noisy as my fat-boy
thanks short-block charlie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts