V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting an 883R later this winter and will be doing the Buell heads and 1200cc kit. How does the stock 2 to 1 pipe perform? The guys at the local HD shop say I need a Thunderheader to get the thing to run. I don't want a loud bike. Nor do I want to spend anymore money than I have to. What about just changing the muffler on the stock pipe? The TECH at the local dealer has done these same mods to his Sportster and claims 94HP on the dyno(with a Thunderheader) I would think I should be able to keep it in the 80's with stock 2 into 1 883R pipe????

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
S/E make a high $$$ slip on for that bike. There not as lound as a thunder header but there louder than stock. It would kill but maybe 5 HP off a T/H. Im also thinking 94 HP is lofty for that crank in a Sporty (heavy) so they must be adding some big cams???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK so lets say that 94hp is a little optomistic.... Is it safe to say 80-85hp is obtainable on a easy to ride 1200 with Buell heads 10.5cr and some not too radical cams and a stock 2 to 1 pipe with mabey a SE muffler? Of course having a matching ignition and carb, air cleaner. If so what do ya suppose this combo could run in the 1/4 mile? I am not doing this for a drag race bike, but me being a drag racer(cars) it give me a good way to judge performance gains. I am mainly looking for a commuter bike that runs decent. Don't think I could live with a high 13 second bike when my street car goes low 12's:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
From what I have read about the 883R it is the slowest Sporty (stock) of all: largely due to the restriction imposed by the stock exhaust, FWIW. DFO

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Your going to need some big cams to get in the low 12's. A 10.5:1 CR will have a ping issue without the right ingiton and cams. You will of course have a streetable bike but all the peaces must be spot on for that kind of HP. The stock cv will need some good work as well and use forged piston and roller rockers if your realy after durability with 7000 rpm red line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts