V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in knowing if anybody has any information or experiences with converting a 883cc into a 1200 sportster. I am currently thinking about the screaming eagle cylinder and head conversion. My biggest concern is throwing my engine out of balance and creating a vibration. Thank you Harley Forum

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im thinking of doing the same thing..I've asked around and read a few articles on it on the net.heres one you can read http://www.geocities.com/reliopoulos/upgrade/
He didnt balance the crank. But i believe you should if the pistons are different weights or else you'll ruin the big ends...So I'm now at Wiseco's site seeing what they say on it because they're the pistons he used...But if the pistons are the same weight it'd be fine...I hope they are so i dont have to pull out the crank..heres wiseco site if you want it too.
http://www.wiseco.com/pdfs/hd_01.pdf

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
883-1200 conversion

I've just perchised my first H-D it's an 883 Hugger. I have also looked in to a 1200 conversion. I found a really cool sportster page it is www.sportster.org/hom.htm there is all kinds of conversion info there. One guy even turned a 883 to a 1450 neat stuff. The only thing I notice around here is once converted the resale seems to drop off. All I hear from others is if you want a 1200 buy one. I personaly think if you want it start wrenchin' I'm seariously thinking about it.

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Re: 883-1200 conversion...

Rerrion,

To make your Sporty a real sleeper, do the 1200 cylinders and pistons with Buell Thunderstorm heads, hotter cams. Thunderslide and rejet the carb, free up the intake and exhaust. Once done you won't believe it's the same bike.

As far as vibration is concerned, it will probably be smoother than before since the breathed on internals will have had the mechanics touch, as in hand built. My 95" FXDX with the works is noticeably smoother than stock. Really hits hard at idle but from there on up, the faster you go , the smoother it gets.

You see; high performance parts tend to be of higher quality, better balance, closer tolerance than thier oem counterparts.

Later,

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just did the 1200 conversion on the wifes '01 hugger. I used Wiseco reverse domed pistons with Hastings rings and had the local performance shop bore the jugs. I used the writeups at sportster.org as a guide and it went without a hitch. Did not flow the heads, slapped em back on as is. Started right up! She's got about 300 miles and it's running real good - no leaks, no smoke, vibration about same as before. I have a Crane ignition and coil but haven't put them in yet, I want to see what difference the ignition will make by itself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
883-1200

If you're doing it you might as well do the ports atleast..even if you just do em yourself they're so easy..I mean its all off anyway and more horsepower is always better. how much more do we want? more!!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I have 19,000 mile on my conversion. The bike has preformed flawlessly.

I went the cheep route but I think new jugs are the way to go.
The 883 heads are great for low end punch with a verry strong mid range. Dont look for tons of top end power from stock 883 heads.
As was stated port clean up is wise investment. Its easy and simple, just port macth,(you have to open the exhaust seat to match) polish the exhaust track & chambers- done. Its also smart to go from coarse (60)at the intake to 120 in the middle and the last 1/2" polished at the seat (intake side).
By the way Harley sells everthing you need now-n-days (they didnt when I did mine) so dont guess where I would get my parts from.

Last, alot of people think if a dealer dose the 1200 kit, its better than if you did it =no loss in value.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts