V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with having a Sportster 883 converted to a 1200. Was it worth it? Did it really make much of a difference? Create a bunch of problems? More trouble than it is worth?

If it accomplishes what it sounds like it does then it is probably in my 883's future in a couple of years.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My wife went from the 883 to 1200 , about the same time I went from an 88 to 95. Is it worth it? If you want to keep your sporty , yes it does make quite a difference. Personally , I"d sell the sport and get a big twin for the investment.

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
conversion

dhwingert said:
Anyone have any experience with having a Sportster 883 converted to a 1200. Was it worth it? Did it really make much of a difference? Create a bunch of problems? More trouble than it is worth?

If it accomplishes what it sounds like it does then it is probably in my 883's future in a couple of years.
Massive power gain.
19 CI increase!
You will SPANK 1200's that are stock as you will have the same 883 gear ratio. 185.00 to bore/hone plus pistons/gaskets.

·
Registered
289 Posts
A friend of mine had her 883L converted to 1200 this spring, and the difference is night and day. The 883 was her first bike, and the power output was good for her to learn on, but she was having trouble keeping up on the superslab, especially in hot weather and with a windshield mounted. That is all cured now. She had the conversion done at an indy shop and paid about $900 parts and labor, which included new jugs (instead of boring her old jugs). The reason she went with the new jugs was to minimize down time (she would have had to wait for a couple of weeks becuase the indy was farming out the machining work). Probabaly would have saved $100 or so by reusing the 883 jugs.

As stated above, if you plan to keep the bike, it is definitely worthwhile. And as for the statement above that you should upgrade to a big twin, I doubt your 883 + $1000 = Big Twin.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. It all sounds positive so far. I was concerned it was one of those things that was better in theory than in actual practice.

I happen to really like my Sportster. (Although my brother is convinced I need a bigger bike so his wife can have it.)

A friend of mine has been generous enough to let me ride his 06 Heritage Softtail Classic. The differences are quite interesting. But ultimately it just confirmed that the Sportster was the right bike for me.

As Far 3ast said about their friend, an 883 has been a really good starting point for me. I had bought it partially on the belief that it could be converted to a 1200 when I was ready. Sounds like that wasn't just sales hype.

·
This is what I do!
28 Posts
dont want to be the bearer of bad news but for the '07 be aware too that you will need to adjust the fuel injection some way, and for just a download atleast another 150.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The right 1200 conversion is fantastic. I did the SE conversion with 1200 cylinders, 10:1 forged pistons, SE 1200 ignition module, and kept the stock heads. I had my dealer dealer do the work and the whole deal came out to just over $1,000. I also went ahead and changed out the primary sprocket to drop the revs in each gear. It's been over 8,000 miles now since the conversion, and I haven't had a speck of trouble. Lots of power, even 2-up, and great fun to ride. Just do it!

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
work the 883 heads. dont buy the 1200 hd heads. either have your head guy hog out the chambers or run dished piiiiistons and hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
Heads

claydbal said:
work the 883 heads. dont buy the 1200 hd heads. either have your head guy hog out the chambers or run dished piiiiistons and hang on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Claydbal is correct on the head work.
We have special Black Diamond valves that we use with the conversion, and with an Andrews N-8 cam set, we can show 82-84 hp and about the same torque. Now your talking about something. You'll embarass 103" owners from the dealership level. Fact.
Scott

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
$$$$

Hillsidecycle.com said:
Claydbal is correct on the head work.
We have special Black Diamond valves that we use with the conversion, and with an Andrews N-8 cam set, we can show 82-84 hp and about the same torque. Now your talking about something. You'll embarass 103" owners from the dealership level. Fact.
Scott
That's one thing about a sporty....do what you folks are talkin' about (big bore) and combine that with the sportster's lack of sh!t bolted in (much lighter weight) and they do haul azz.

Far 3ast said:
As stated above, if you plan to keep the bike, it is definitely worthwhile. And as for the statement above that you should upgrade to a big twin, I doubt your 883 + $1000 = Big Twin.
all i'm saying is for $6000 bucks here you go....a classic big twin FXR, basically a grown up sporty. Check out the below link

Because this thread poses the question IF...because it seems he's saying an 883 is in his future....he doesn't actually have one, he's looking for a second bike. Right?
http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112366

Tim

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1bdBagr said:
Because this thread poses the question IF...because it seems he's saying an 883 is in his future....he doesn't actually have one, he's looking for a second bike. Right?
Nope, I've got an 883 now. I was wondering if the 1200 conversion was actually worth doing.

An FXR might very well be my next bike. But I'm hoping to get a lot of years out of this one first.

Thanks though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
ive got a buddy that is a big guy. but he simply loves sportys. has an 05 883. just did the 1200 kit this past summer. it runs like a raped ape. its quite a sleeper too. has some stock looking slip on mufflers that are quiet until you turn it. i think he changed cams too though if i remember correctly. saw him outrun a screaming eagle 1550 roadglide just recently with it. this guy is real tight with money too. but he didnt blink an eye spending the bucks for the conversion.

·
If we gotta wear helmets
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
head said:
it runs like a raped ape.
Ok, what I really want to know is who or what is raping all these apes for all these many years and why hasn't something been done about it? :nunu:

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
When I bought my '01 883 it was with the intention of going to a 1200 (the 883 makes a cheaper better platform). The first time I went with stock heads re-done by HQ I got 85hp; re-done with HQ cams and T-Storm heads I got 100hp/88ft lbs...flogged that bike for about 15000 miles and loved it. Wife wanted to ride with me so sold it and got an FXDXT...miss the sporty!

(The sporty is in the black bike thread and I can't re-post the pic)

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
We had a guy come down from Ames with an 883 that had 80 miles on it and Zylstras H-D was trying to sell him the SE stuff, he wanted something better so we welded and cnc ported his heads, bored his cylinders to 1200, and put a SE cam in it. He took it up to Zylstras dyno shoot out and won the deal with 93 hp and 87 foot pounds of torque. Later he ran against a guy who had more horse power than he did and beat him by 6-8 bike lengths because his bike reved so much quicker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great info here. My wife rides an 883L and loves it. I've heard good things on the 1200 conversion and all you've said confirms it. Thanks.

·
Longtime Asphalt Cowboy
3,291 Posts
Have done several of these conversions over the years and performance is really great.

Find somebody that has changed out the carb for a Mukuni or such on their big twin. Grab their old CV carb. It will bolt right up and talk about 'jump'.. !!!!

One thing that hasn't been said, Insurance. Most insurance companies have a pretty big $$$$ break at 1000cc. When you do this conversion your serial number still indicates 883cc thus the cheaper rate. So don't go in bragg'n about your 883, now being a 1200 when you pay your insurance.

o~\o

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Nope, I've got an 883 now. I was wondering if the 1200 conversion was actually worth doing.

An FXR might very well be my next bike. But I'm hoping to get a lot of years out of this one first.

Thanks though.
Harley-Davidson has not made FXRs in over 14 years. The last model year was 1994, though they did come back with the special edition FXR3 and FXR4 in 1999 and 2000 respectively. The general consensus seems to be that these bikes were brought to market to clear up H-D's surplus of EVO inventory following the introduction of the Twin Cam 88 in 1999. So, I doubt that your next bike will be an FXR unless you are lucky and find one of these highly sought after bikes on the used market. What you'll probably be looking at instead is a Dyna Super Glide or Lowrider or something like that.

MM

·
Registered
38 Posts
$185.00! Thats a Good Deal!

Massive power gain.
19 CI increase!
You will SPANK 1200's that are stock as you will have the same 883 gear ratio. 185.00 to bore/hone plus pistons/gaskets.
I just wish you were closer! I am in California. It would cost me another "C" note in shipping.
I have pistons cams and another set of 883 jugs on my bench. I am just waiting to find a set of torque plates to rent.
I want to bore the 883 jugs because they are stamped 883. LOL!

Steve

1 - 20 of 33 Posts