V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, it's an 06 883,the owner has had it since 100 miles and has put 4,000 miles on it,,,,she's put 3,000 on it in the last four months, went to Tx, Oklahoma and Sturges...she rides, by the way, don't trailer. In Sturgis, her bike started puking oil out the air breather......all over the side of the bike. It required a quart to bring it back, after 1,000 or so miles. We were in heat and on way back, going 70-75 for extended periods...she's a rider.

It's still under warranty and she took it in, they cleaned the inside of the breather housing, put in a new air filter, charged $80 bucks and said they don't know why it does that, but not to worry. Am I goofy to think that is simply not an answer? Never heard of it.

Help, any ideas? Is that backflow valve or sometype of valve in the breather tub stuck? Is this common and okay? Thanks for any feedback.

·
2005 Road King Classic
1,632 Posts
Take it for a ride to the dealer the long way around and park it in front of the dealer entrance and tell them they didn't fix it, as it drips oil all over the place.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
The dealer knows why it does that. There is a ton of discussion about it. Tell the dealer you want it fixed. Its not rocket science.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you fill the oil tank up to the full mark, it will blow it out. I keep mine about half way between the add and full mark. Never had a problem.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
883 puking oil

Thanks, will try that...did fill the puppy up to full....appreciate the info......knew there had to be something to do....

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
My Sporty has always blown oil through the breather, never a quart's worth though. I've read many threads and articles about it. It's not unique to Sportsters, either. I've never heard of a simple fix. If anybody knows one, let's hear it.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I find that if I have a hot oil level of 3/4ths of the dip stick I see almost no oil in the AC housing. I dont ride 70mph on the highway though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
okay, it's an 06 883,the owner has had it since 100 miles and has put 4,000 miles on it,,,,she's put 3,000 on it in the last four months, went to Tx, Oklahoma and Sturges...she rides, by the way, don't trailer. In Sturgis, her bike started puking oil out the air breather......all over the side of the bike. It required a quart to bring it back, after 1,000 or so miles. We were in heat and on way back, going 70-75 for extended periods...she's a rider.

It's still under warranty and she took it in, they cleaned the inside of the breather housing, put in a new air filter, charged $80 bucks and said they don't know why it does that, but not to worry. Am I goofy to think that is simply not an answer? Never heard of it.

Help, any ideas? Is that backflow valve or sometype of valve in the breather tub stuck? Is this common and okay? Thanks for any feedback.
Hi. If you fill the oil to level mark on the dipstick when riding hard on a hot day the oil level increases and it acts as if you have overfilled it and then spews oil from the cyl head breathers. Run the oil level on the lower mark (cold engine) that seems to cure it. Well mines has stopped doing it since.

·
Registered
17,278 Posts
After 13 yrs, I don't think they care.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
My apologies for trying to be helpful to other members who may be experiencing similar problems. It must be such a burden being so superior.
Hi Ed I am Ed too. We have had many new members join without an introduction you are one of them. When Alan joined he did an intro so yes I guess he is superior.

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Am I crazy or did Ed have one of those (spammer) Netherlands flag next to his name when he first joined?
I will be interested to see if this guy is for real.

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
212 Posts
I think you are correct. I believe he went from Netherlands to England now. Must be a man on the move!

·
Super Moderator
3,170 Posts
Two posts and two IP addresses that match the flags.I had the flag of Costa Rica for a week a few weeks back.

Welcome to the forum Ed.Some around here like "fresh meat".If you are legit then we are glad to have you.
We have had a lot of spammers lately so many here are wary of new members.
If you are a spammer and you start acting as such you won't be around long.
Once again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Hey autoworker, 01Ron and I are like bounty hunters.
We find 'em and you decide about what to do with them.
How do we collect?

·
Registered
17,278 Posts
When I start getting paid for this "job". Seriously, it's all good.Thanks
Herding cats is a labor of love?

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts