V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my wife has a new 2003, 883 and at highway speeds it has very low power. if going 70 and give it gas it picks up very slow. what should i do.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got an 883 and I have plenty of power to ride on the interstate at high speeds. I've cruised at speeds of 70-85 mph with no problem. When I turn the trottle I have no problems accelerating and I'm 5'8'' and 175 lbs. I just ride the bike a little aggressively and it gives me all the power I need.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Sounds like you need to at the very least:
better mufflers
k&n filter
rejet the carb

·
Registered
414 Posts
twincamzz said:

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it ! :D
Yeah I know, it's a weakness but you still have to buy the: mufflers, a/c and do a rejet.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Viken:

Pay the TAX!You will get a 20% increase in HP, and free up the engine breathing at the higher RPM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is break in completed ?
Check if throttle cable is correctly adjusted (maybe it is not opening completely if too long).
Check with another 883 if power is in range (maybe you are used to more powerful engines).
If all ok, PAY the tax as allowed by budget :
A/ Jets
B/ Exhaust
C/ Air filter or better ... complete air box

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its new 200 miles, i have a 2003 Sftail. i love my bike. she had a 2001 ZRX 1100 Kawas. it was very fast. the 883 just seems to be under power. my wife likes the bike but i think i need to get her more power or she will try and take my bike. I have heard alot of good thing about the 883 and that they have good power. so i thought i would just ask the people who ride them and not the dealer, who could tell me any thing to keep me happy.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I've got about 5,100 miles on my 883 and it seems to be running much stronger now than when it was brand new.

You may want to get through the break-in period first and see if you notice any improvement.

My engine is stock except for a K&N stock replacement filter I added about 2 months ago.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Pipes, A/C and a rejet are a must. There now way the 883 will ever feal like its got 900cc's of power, even after cams and such. The only real way to of gone was to of gotton a 1200. That Kow you all had can out run a 1200 and stay below 7000 RPM doing it! There is not much hope for you guys, you picked the wrong bike. Converting the bike to a 1200 dont make alot of sence for such a new bike, but folks have done it.

·
Registered
701 Posts
There's a lot of sense into converting an 883 to a 1200. Main reason is gearing. The trasmission and final ratios on a stock 1200 is shorter than the gearing on a converted 883. Also, It can somtimes be cheaper to upgrade to a 1200 than it is buying a 1200 from the dealer.

As for the new 883... i agree to wait till break in is done. After that, remove the baffles in the exhaust, upgrade the ignition to a SE system and rejet her. With just that done to her, I was able to lift the front wheel on her. (took some work doing it though)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't think SE ignition will improve anything there ... just exhaust, airbox, bigger jets should be enough. No need to wait end of break in. Engine starts to be free at around 4500 or 5000 miles. Be patient !!

SE ignition could be a + only when programmable with different curves.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
talked to wife she says she loves the bike. says the power is ok she just needs a little more so that when she needs to pass someone. sounds like i'm going to get the new exhaust, jets, etc. might do the 1200 next year. sounds like it will cost. thanks.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
When i did my conversion 3 years ago it set me back 350 bucks. I did not plan that, but the 883 power is very poor. When the bike is out of warrenty then it makes sence to do upagades.

·
Registered
331 Posts
HD1200R said:
There's a lot of sense into converting an 883 to a 1200. Main reason is gearing. The trasmission and final ratios on a stock 1200 is shorter than the gearing on a converted 883. Also, It can somtimes be cheaper to upgrade to a 1200 than it is buying a 1200 from the dealer.

As for the new 883... i agree to wait till break in is done. After that, remove the baffles in the exhaust, upgrade the ignition to a SE system and rejet her. With just that done to her, I was able to lift the front wheel on her. (took some work doing it though)
Not to mention the insurance is cheaper on the 883! I have seen plenty of 883 converted to 1200 and it's much faster than a stock 1200 and at least a grand cheaper.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts