V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Harley an 883 custom. Not the biggest or the best but I love it.
I've had it stage 1'd (pipes, air cleaner,etc). I am now really confused as where to go next. Mikuni carb, 1200 conversion or what?
I am not really bothered about speed but want low, middle grunt.
Appreciate any advice.
Jon (England)

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
For the most bang for the buck keep stock cams,heads,carb and your stage 1 and go with the reverse dome 1200 pistons & 1200 jugs. If theres a shop you trust you can have them bore the stock jugs in hopes of a better match. For max results port match the heads & use S/E exhaust seals. The heads can be "home ported" basicly you clean them up and match all ports to seats ect. My XLH 883-1200 made 65 HP after 21,000 miles on the conversion.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome to the forum jon. I'd think would just enjoying the new new bike and save the cash for when your ready to trade up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.
2Duece. By coincidence the Duece is my fav Harley (closely followed by the Fat Boy and Road King). I would love to get a Duece eventualy but they are big bucks in England. I will have to hang on to my Xl53 for another couple of years.
With regard to your comments Kags- interesting. 65 HP is a significant gain. I will run it by the local(ish) dealers and judge their reaction. If they haven't done it before then I won't risk it.
Jon

·
Registered
1 Posts
883 upgrade

im in the exact same place, im looking in to installing pyro stars plugs and the necessary carb adjustments. im not after speed but throttle response. any one got any feed back? If i have to change the carb i will but i really dont wanna try to make an 883 a 1650...know what i mean

·
Registered
126 Posts
65 HP sounds a little low compaird to what I have read on the web. Most seem to come in at 70 HP. I think they use 10:1 Wisco pistons.

I have talked to some how have done their heads, and put a CAM in while staring at 883. The cost seemed to be about the same as a 1200 converstion. They went this way thinking they could hold the vibrations down. I don't know where they ended up on HO though.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Fact is most H-D shops that do a stright 883 to 1200 W/ no cams change(there the same cams anyway) only get 60-63 HP. It takes port clean up /matching to make sure you get 65 up. My bike was/has never been dyno tuned, I took a free dyno run & thats when I got my 65HP (after 21,000 miles).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts