V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at picking up a new bike for the wife. She is experienced rider and now wants a Harley.

Is there a significant difference between the two? The maximum distance she would ride in a day would be about 200 miles. Longer trips she would ride with me.

If the 1200 is that much better, is it worth the additonal money?

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
wehohl said:
I am looking at picking up a new bike for the wife. She is experienced rider and now wants a Harley.

Is there a significant difference between the two? The maximum distance she would ride in a day would be about 200 miles. Longer trips she would ride with me.

If the 1200 is that much better, is it worth the additonal money?
Yes. My wife has an 883L, she wishes they would have had the 1200L when she was looking. Go for the big one. Weight isn't that much different. But the power to the seat of the pants is.

·
Registered
935 Posts
I'm not sure about the '06s. But for the earlier models the primary covers were silver powder coated on the 883 customs, and chrome on the 1200. Keep in mind you can upgrade the engine on the 883 to 1200, or even something more powerful.

In my opionion, however, look at a different Sportster model than the Customs.... unless she prefers the overall look. The shocks are rather short, the front wheel is more trouble than its worth. And forward controls aren't very sporty :D

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
If you've got a little extra scratch to spend on a 1200, do it. Like Rock_Steady said, the two bikes weigh about the same. And the 1200 gives you more ponies. I've seen posts from folks who wondered out loud whether an 883 might be "easier to ride" because it's smaller. But it's not. It just has less power. Might as well have more power than less if the bikes weigh about the same. Just my semi-worthless two cents.

·
2005 Ultra Classic
45 Posts
My 63 year old wife faced that question last year . . . she's a brand new rider and wound up buying an 05 1200 Custom. . . she's really glad she picked the 1200 instread of the 883.... so am I!!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the information. I think she will go with the 1200 Custom or the 1200 Low. Dealer is offering $ 750 in accessories if purchased from stock by 1/31.

·
Registered
529 Posts
wehohl said:
Thanks for the information. I think she will go with the 1200 Custom or the 1200 Low. Dealer is offering $ 750 in accessories if purchased from stock by 1/31.
My dealer is offering 1200c for $8700"pearl paint" and 15% off anything ya buy if you would want to drive a few miles.:chopper:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
TheTick said:
I'm not sure about the '06s. But for the earlier models the primary covers were silver powder coated on the 883 customs, and chrome on the 1200. Keep in mind you can upgrade the engine on the 883 to 1200, or even something more powerful.

In my opionion, however, look at a different Sportster model than the Customs.... unless she prefers the overall look. The shocks are rather short, the front wheel is more trouble than its worth. And forward controls aren't very sporty :D
I owned a 05 1200C Sporty. I loved the forward controls. I never considered whether they looked sporty or not, they were just plain more confortable to use compared to the mid controls. IMHO

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
My wife had the 883, traded it in on the 1200C and is MUCH happier . She's been riding for about 2.5 yrs and is about 5'5"

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
I bought an 883 last year. This year Im gonna get the Zippers Torkster kit and some goodies to peak this 883 up. I dont know what a 1200 is in terms of stock horsepower. Zippers says the conversion will get you to about 75 peak horses and almost 80 pound feet of torque. If the 883 isnt enough for her in a year, this route may be an alternative.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/catalogue/showproduct.asp?cat=865&prod=2062

·
Registered
5 Posts
wvwayne said:
My dealer is offering 1200c for $8700"pearl paint" and 15% off anything ya buy if you would want to drive a few miles.:chopper:
That is a pretty good deal, except that you can get 20% off by showing your dealer dales harley davidson's website. Pay shipping with no sales tax depending on where you live or pay sales tax. The dealer should give you the deal and say hush. As far as the $750.00 in acc, I had to pay an additional $99.00 in order to get that. I would recommend the screamin eagle kit if you do. I bought the 05 1200xlc with glacier pearl white paint and love it. For the 06 harley made the clutch easier to pull which would be good for a womans small hands. There is a kit that you can buy for the previous year to mod it if your looking at 05. Thats my 2 cents worth!:beer:

·
Banned
873 Posts
Rock_Steady said:
Yes. My wife has an 883L, she wishes they would have had the 1200L when she was looking. Go for the big one. Weight isn't that much different. But the power to the seat of the pants is.
Didn't know your wife rides. Sweet, wish I could convince my bride to give driving the bike a whirl. You still have your 1200C?

ps Wehohl, get the 1200.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Stock 04 and later 883 is about 45hp/42 lbs ft (rear wheel)
Stock 04 1200 is about 58hp/68lbs ft (rear wheel) or 79lbs ft flyhweel
Stage II 1200 is about 79hp/78lbs ft rear wheel

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
nidan said:
Stock 04 and later 883 is about 45hp/42 lbs ft (rear wheel)
Stock 04 1200 is about 58hp/68lbs ft (rear wheel) or 79lbs ft flyhweel
Stage II 1200 is about 79hp/78lbs ft rear wheel
I just read the specs on stock HP of a '05 1200 and it's pushing 70 horses out of the crate......no upgrades....68.6 ft lbs torque

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Harley-Davidson/2005/XL%201200%20C%20Sportster%20Custom/

Dyna's are only pussing 68 hp out of the crate.....

http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Harley-Davidson/2005/FXDL%20-%20FXDLI%20Dyna%20Low%20Rider/

·
Registered
105 Posts
The compression ratio on the Sportster is 9.7:1 Vs 8.9:1 on the Dyna...another metric that will leave you scratching your head.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
If it were up to me I would buy a used 883 Roadster and plop an 88" or 99" zippers kit in it. Go cheap and spend your money on the engine. 883's same dimension as 1200. Then put it on the road and blow everyone away.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
Homarr said:
Didn't know your wife rides. Sweet, wish I could convince my bride to give driving the bike a whirl. You still have your 1200C?

ps Wehohl, get the 1200.
Yup,
Still got the 1200C. Till April anyway. The way I got my wife riding was I convinenced her to take the riding course. And I told her they had little bike there. Three weeks after the class she had a Harley. It's all in the "soft" sale. :woohoo:

·
Registered
9 Posts
cdirk said:
If it were up to me I would buy a used 883 Roadster and plop an 88" or 99" zippers kit in it. Go cheap and spend your money on the engine. 883's same dimension as 1200. Then put it on the road and blow everyone away.
can you post a link about those conversons i can look at, sounds interesting

1 - 20 of 27 Posts