V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here and need some expret advice. Did a 883 to 1240 conversion using wiseco pistons, I am a very experienced mechanic and know for sure that I have installed everything and did all required work to do this job. My problem is when I get my bike up to speed I am getting a metal to metal sound, asked a local wrencher here and he said check ring gap, it was good. but reinstalled and still doing the metal to metal sound at higher RPM's any help would be apreciated.

daddy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Might be helpful for you to describe the noise.. "metal to metal" is pretty vague.. If you tore it back down to look at the ring gap, what did you see, if anything? - scuffs? heat marks? gouging???? could it be it needs a little break it time at lower revs??? Does it make the noise at all speeds??? How tight is the starting/turnover ?... Back to basics is sometimes key, but we throw ourselves offtrack by being intimidated by the "new technology"....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the only way to describe it is, and I did grow up in the country, but it sounds like a barbed wire fence when ever it is stretched out and springs back, and it happens in 3rd gear at low rpms, and then when you get on it a little you can hear the sound. I have been told from another source that it could be the ignition is faster on the 883 setup and the 1340 needs to have a new ignition module, can't remeber the part number. Pre detenation or PINGING is what it is sometimes called

1 - 4 of 4 Posts