V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay---I know the 883-1200 subject is pretty well covered all over this and other boards, but I want to ask this question.

I have purchased Buell 1200 cylinders, pistons, and rings with about 1000 miles on them. The parts look nice and clean and ready to bolt on. My question is this. Is it safe to bolt in these stock Buell pistons without doing port work to the heads, or is that mandatory? I was quoted $250 to do the port work on my heads just now, and that sounds expensive...is it?

Are the Buell pistons suitable, or should I save another couple hundred and buy the wiseco domed pistons? The good thing about this setup (I think) is that since the pistons and cylinders were a matched set originally there is not any honing of the cylinders needed...right? They should be matched very well as is?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Also...how hard is it to port the heads? I have heard there is a template that an amateur can easily use with a drummel tool and get the job done on the 883 heads...what do y'all think?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I would do a very close inspection on those pistons/cylinders. Buells are well known for being as reliable as a Yugo. It is not uncommon for an engine to go by by at around 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The pistons and cylinders are VERY clean. They had around 1000 miles on them and the cross thatching is still visible in the cylinder walls. I don't think that will be an issue, but I will be sure and pay close attention just in case.
I could really use some advice on my questions in my first post...anybody...anybody?

·
Registered
381 Posts
My feeling would be that the heads would need to be ported. The clearance on these heads to cylinder is way to close. When you got the cylinders (used?) why not grab the heads also?

I have heard about the template, but would suggest the $250 is well spent. Someone here (not sure) sent theirs to Hippo to get done. You may ping him and ask about this work. Let us know how things went. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A good shop can help, they should know (by specs) how much needs to be taking off. The templets for do-it-yourself work but you must be sure of yourself. Without port work you stand to lose 5 or so HP, and with only 60 HP on hand (with no work)thats huge. Now if the shop will open the chambers port the ports properly 250 is cheep. If new larger valves are added your doing great.

As for the Buell pistons, you need to check the weight, I think they are too heavy for a smooth running motor. Of course rebalancing the flywheel could be done but man...thats takes alot.
Plan "B" : by the reverse dome weight matched pistons (.005 over) and have the cyc re honed. All problems solved. Then you can do your own porting (easer the doing the chambers) and save the 250 bucks...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually that is what I did today. I ordered a set of Wiseco 883/1200 reverse dome conversion pistons because this has been suggested to me more times than ANYTHING else as the best option. I should receive these parts next week and the conversion will be set in motion. This way I can avoid the head work and purchase a more suitable ignition module. Any Ignition Module suggestions that would be suitable to this setup? Is an Ignition Module the next thing to add, or is there another upgrade for around $250 that would be more effective?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ingition is the way to go. S/E coil and ingition should run about 100 bucks or so. I am running Wiseco and with 22 K miles + on them the bike still romps. Personal I think you made am good choice for band for you buck. Hear is my post from another forum:
I used the Wiesco and the results are great. Head Work: For the most
> even power, CC the chambers to make sure there even (sporty are
> pretty good on this). To me a must do is the ports. Some 883 heads
> are badly miss match . Before you tare it down closely inspect the
> mainafold to head port match. In most cases the mainafolds are bigger
> than the head intake ports. To make it worse its the long sweep side
> ( the side you need cleanest). Open up the intake port to match and
> leave in at about 60-120 grit course. At the seats port work is also
> needed. The intake port is too small there and needs to be opened. at
> the intake valve seat down about 1/2" should be smooth. The exhaust
> seat is too big there and needs to be opened. Clean and polish at
> will the exhaust port.Make sure you do not tuch the actual valve
> seating area. Lap the valves and use new seals. Finaly use S/E
> exhaust seals the stockers mushroom into the port and we dont wont
> that. All that work for 5 more "free" HP (over no head work)and a
> much smother running motor with stock cams. You should get around 65+
> HP thats up big time from your stock 37.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts