V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm slowly getting my parts together for the conversion and I would appreciate your feedback and recommendations.

Speed to work and back is usually 40-50 mph; weekend riding 65-70 mph. I don't race/overrev/drive the heck out of it but want the extra low-end torque (I know what you're thinking! He doesn't now, but...)

I don't have a tach but I have installed the 29-tooth sprocket in prep. for the conversion so RPM is the same as the 1200.

1. 883 heads ported/polished, retaining the 883 combustion chamber size to avoid decreasing comp. ratio (have you seen the fierce competition on ebay for ANY sporty heads?)
2. Install Rowe "conversion" valves; corrected length for the 1200 diameter valve in the 883 head. Valve seats have to be cut; how will that affect the comp. ratio? Will the thinner head gasket get the CR back to 9.5:1?
3. Wiseco 1200 pistons; 9.5:1 reverse dome
4. Rejet the CV with 45 / 180 jets
5. Retain the stock exhaust (yeah, I know, but I like the quiet side of the bike)
6. Andrews N2 cams or equivalent

Limit on the spending is $800 not including install of the parts. Reliability is the greatest goal.

Thanks,
Curt

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sporty, I just did a similar conversion on my buddies 883 two years ago. Personally, I wouldn't mess with the heads. I used the Wiseco pistons, Screamin Eagle bolt-in cams, SE ignition module (must have, 883 ignition curve is very lazy), and stock mufflers with the cores removed. Bike runs amazing for the amount of money we spent. It made 74 HP and 76 ftlbs, that's compared to about 40 for a stock 883. I'm almost postitive we did it all for about $800. Stock pipes on a sporty with the cores out work better than any thing out there short of the high dollar 2-1 stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts