V-Twin Forum banner

88 to 95

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  jammer45u 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 road king that's carburetor and I've put the s&s 510 cams and the hydraulic tensioners. Would it be worth the money putting in a 95 big bore will the bottom end stay together in the long run

#2 ·
I have the same year B motor and punched it out to 97" about 15k ago, it has been fine.
Only thing I would add would be to say if you don't port the heads it wont be a very impressive difference. With ported heads it is night and day difference from stock.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Alaskasteve
#6 ·
Speaking from personal experience, I did the 95" conversion on my 2003 Heritage Softail in 2004 and it started a "more power addiction" that I just recently got under control. Obviously, since that first rebuild happened 16 years ago ( and there have been many changes along the way ), it's hard to remember what they all were but, where it ended was an S&S 106" stroker kit -- stroker flywheel, 585G cams, S&S Super Stock heads, Jims hydrosolid lifters, roller rockers, a HPI 52mm intake, Thundermax Autotune and D&D 2:1 Fatcat exhaust. In 2018, I had the heads shaved .020" and used .030" copper head gaskets to raise compression to 11:1.

Definitely not bashing the 95" or 98" upgrades, as long as you can be content with that and not wind up -- a year or two down the road -- tearing it back apart to go bigger again. As for "rideability" of my Softail, I can tell you that it has a loping idle so slow speed riding ( like in a parking lot ) requires clutch feathering and/or throttle input to smooth it out but, it is a f*cking beast out on the highway! Still runs on 93 octane pump gas ( although I'm certain it would love something a little more potent ) and, have had no dependability or maintenance issues. Fuel mileage is difficult to pinpoint because of how I ride -- My throttle has two positions; "On" or "Off" but, I would say that it averages around 38 - 40 MPG. No idea of what my HP and TQ numbers are as I have not found a local dyno shop that I trust to not f*ck something up and, honestly, I don't need to see lines on a graph to tell me what I already know from riding it.

Aside from machine work, I do everything else myself. Have a good local machinist to take care of the rest.

#7 ·
I did the 88 to 95 on my 2004 Road King in 2007. My goal was "touring anywhere with power to spare." I had somewhere around 25,000 on it at the time of the build and put it into semi-retirement with around 63,000 on it. I still ride it occasionally. It has enough power for my needs, peak is 100/100 depending on the dyno. It'll run on just about anything that can be called gasoline due to the build and conservative tune. The torque curve is healthy with 95 lb/ft at 2,500 RPM and it still has over 95 HP at 6,000.

If the bottom end is OK now on your 2000 and you don't have a ton of miles on it, it should be fine for many miles.

#8 ·
Hey Jammer -

Not to slight any of the great folks here and in other places, & dunno if Arnie does heads in house but think he might send them out. For serious engine work - building, heads, tuning, lower end work - I like Mike up at MC Cycle in Bad Axe. Very sharp, old school racer and has been at it a long time. Got onto him years ago and that's where I go for anything serious. Strongly recommend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.