V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While trying to adjust my knob to stop sliding in while idling, the plastic threads disentigrated and now I need to replace. I see where it enters the carb (nut) but do not see how it attaches internally. It looks like I have to remove the gas tank to get to it as well. The Clymer book does not go into enough detail.

After I loosen the nut where it enters the card, how does it attach? Thanks

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
You don't have to remove the tank but probably will have to remove the carb. Just loosen the plastic nut where the 90 degree bend takes the cable into the carb. The cable end in the carb will just slide right out. Be sure and get the rubber boot positioned properly when re-installing.

Don't over-tighten the 9/16 nut on the back of the enrichener knob either or you'll wind up getting another one.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
You don't have to remove the tank...But raising & blocking up the rear portion :brows: will give some added room to work with the carb.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Put a rag around the tank console at the neck and make sure that the fork won't turn when you prop up the tank. Don't ask how I know........

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have never cared for the Clymer manuals whether I was working on a car or bike. I work on a friend's Sportster and he has a Clymer manual. I hate having to use that book. Do yourself a favor and get a HD factory service manual. It's well worth the money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts