V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbee question,

What is balanced on a 88 BB? Is the entire rotating assembly balanced?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
The rotating assembly isn't balanced along the lines you may be thinking. Rather it is counterbalanced by two chain driven counter-rotating flywheights which cancel all but the slightest vibration which is inherent in all single pin 45 degree V-Twin engines.

SS

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
They're in the crank(flywheel)case, for and aft of the fly wheel. If you look closely at the bottom end of the engine in a '00 and up Softail as compared to a Dyna or Touring model, you'll notice the locations of the counter-balancers in the castings.

SS

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

In a nut shell

The nuts so to speak. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!!

I guess the non balanced motors have a greater power potential because they don't have these weights to swing.

I sure like the BB engine.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
I am probably in the minority here but....

I prefer the non-balanced engine. I bought a new 03 FLSTC and while I love the bike, I prefer the feel and sound of the Road King. The counterbalancers have taken so much of the feel out of the bike that it hardly feels like a v-twin and it has an awful noise that reflects back off the windshield. The RK on the other hand, feels powerful and feels like a motorcycle should while sitting at idle while smoothing out when cruising; the best of both worlds.

Anyone ever consider removing the counterbalancers or is this not possible? Just wish the softtails had a similar set-up to the RK.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
Heh.
If you remove those counter balancers you might as well take it down to Home Depot and park it on the paint dept counter first. The rigid mount motor will self destruct along with the rest of the bike in short order once its allowed to "shake it up". The whole design of a TC88-BB soft tail is based on vibration cancelling balancers in the powerplant. Take them away and kiss her goodbye. Should be one hell of an unusual ride for a short while though.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
I prefer the non-balanced engine. I bought a new 03 FLSTC and while I love the bike, I prefer the feel and sound of the Road King. The counterbalancers have taken so much of the feel out of the bike that it hardly feels like a v-twin and it has an awful noise that reflects back off the windshield.
Go back in time and ride some pre-B engines in the softails! They were rigid mounted. A sporty can give you a good buzz to your memory.

BBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZ yo Fillings OUT!

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
fulldraw said:

Go back in time and ride some pre-B engines in the softails! They were rigid mounted. A sporty can give you a good buzz to your memory.

BBBBBBBBUUUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZ yo Fillings OUT!
I understand what you are saying and I don't think hard mounting is the right choice...but neither is the counter balancers. I bought the FLSTC simply based on style. I had no experience with Harleys and took a chance. Like I said, I love the bike but simply like the feel of the RK better. I like the shaking at idle and I like the smoothness at speed. And the counter balancers make a terrible whirling noise that reflects off the windshield that you can't get rid of (and I have SE 2 exhaust). Unfortunately, I did not try the RK out until recently. I'll just wait a few years and probably buy a new 2005 RK Classic. But I still prefer the styling of the softtails.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts