V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, been reading here about cams and so on, so forth. I have on '03 Flstci (Heritage Classic) which I do quite a bit of 2up riding, back roads and freeway, long trips too. What I would like is more passing when on the freeway. I am not into racing, just like solid reliability. The bike just seems like it needs more torque. I am not interested right now in pulling the heads but am considering a 2-1 exhaust. Presently have SE II slip ons.
I have an offer on a set of 37g cams, but have been leaning toward the 26g cams. Now down the road if I do decide to pull the heads and go with a 95 and some port work and shave the heads I would think this would be where the 37g would shine.
So, would I be loosing much if I went with the 37g now or is the 26g the way to go even with a little more compression and port work later down the road?
One other item, the 26g looks pretty close to the 203 cams so as far as a sert download any suggestions where to start? Thanks all.

·
Average Dude
6,263 Posts
Its funny you posted this question....I am planning on the 98" build with the 37G myself, but do to tight finances (college to pay for), I will be purchasing my kit piecemeal.
My question is: What can I expect for performance if I have my heads ported and install the 37G in my 88"? If I do this, I will be installing the jugs and pistons most likely next year. This is just a thought...maybe I would be better off waiting until the components are complete and tearing into the engine just once. (Although it would give me something to do next winter).

I did not intend to hijack this thread...If I did, let me know and I'll remove and repost elsewhere. I just thought my question was very similar.

YB

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
As for me...I have the 26G in a 95" motor. As I understand it, this particular cam is a good overhaul cam for strength throughout the powerband with its strongest pull at the lower end. Power for getting you, your passenger and all your gear going up to speed with authority.
:thumbsup:

·
CBA Member
59 Posts
NodakGus said:
Power for getting you, your passenger and all your gear going up to speed with authority.
:thumbsup:
With that said I would have to agree. I have the 26G in my 02 88 E-glide Classic. I LOVE THE POWER. I also ride 2 up most of the time and have no
complants about the cam. Im in the market now for the 95 build and will
stay with the cam I have. Now if I had a night train:sofa: I would be
building a horse of a different color. But for this type of riding the 26G
is all that and then some.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
26 is a good cam as you can use it with 88&95 offer nice gains. NOT the best cam for both but will still work nicely. I still offer the 95 kits with cams for a great price, Yankee, give me a call will see what we can do I think I have a set of 95 pistons (cast) that we used for a few dyno pulls and we can bore a set of new ones for you. Pistons are in perfect shape. We only used it to compare 95 to the 98 with no mods. The increase was a fair amout I would have to look again but I recall up15tq and 12hp with no changes other than cylinders.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
HDwrench--I appreciate your comments, but was hoping you could expand a little. Your post indicated the 26g was a good cam but not the best, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just went through what you are about to do. I went with the 37g cams on a stock 88 flstfi (fatboy). I am planning on doing the 95 in and heads later down the road. I'm happy with the results. I picked up 4hp and 3ft. pds of torque. The bike runs better and feels stronger. I also read a lot of threads and didn't know what route I wanted to take. I finally made a call to Dewey of Dewey's Customs. I'm basically going with his build. I'll be getting my heads from him. Hope this helps. Good luck!

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have TW26G on my 88C- 2003 FXDX, with doherty pack, rejeect carb, bored stock exaust. Cant say bike is a rocket but I feel much more better than when was full stock. revs well at every range, two riding is perfect, earned in smootness, respond, and temp (did lowered at least 25 F ) the only cons is mileage that felt a bit. But probably will take care with a different diffusor in future: I prefer an hungry setting than a lean one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts