V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
engine and trans back in frame, and wheels , but trying to tighten trans sprocket is proving difficult, anyone got a good tip to do it , i have put into gear and wrapped chain around sprockets but still no joy

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
There's a tool for that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a tool to lock it when the primary is on , but i didnt know there was a tool for when the primary was off what does it look like ?

·
Super Moderator
20,453 Posts
No, for a chain we used to just use an old chain section with a piece of steel bar welded to it. Wrap the chain around the sprocket and let the bar wedge against the ground.

Past that, pull the shift drum and lock it into two gears at the same time.

There was a tool for that, a long time ago. A little forked plate with some pins threaded into it. You set the pins to fit the sprocket and then hooked the end over the swing arm. They didn't work very well, the pins would break off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cheers lads job done , oh my days what a ball ache , just need to fit that small oil seal in the trans case were the starter shaft goes, i know you fit it from the starter side . does the spring face the starter or the clutch and is it just flush with the starter side of the case ?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Perhaps a little late, but. Pull the plugs, fill the cylinders with oil, backoff the lifters & reinstall the plugs. Messy but doable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
engine and trans back in frame, and wheels , but trying to tighten trans sprocket is proving difficult, anyone got a good tip to do it , i have put into gear and wrapped chain around sprockets but still no joy
a impact will fix that. I believe it’s a 1 7/8” socket. Normal socket won’t work. Get a buddy or you that can weld. Cut that socket in half. Weld in a piece of pipethats 5-6” long and same ish diameter. Now it will fit over trans shaft. No locking tool necessary. Remember it’s backwards threads.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
a impact will fix that. I believe it’s a 1 7/8” socket. Normal socket won’t work. Get a buddy or you that can weld. Cut that socket in half. Weld in a piece of pipethats 5-6” long and same ish diameter. Now it will fit over trans shaft. No locking tool necessary. Remember it’s backwards threads. View attachment 264295 View attachment 264296
^^^
Holy ****!!! What does that socket Weigh????
I made one that is a Copy of the Harley Tool...
Everything I have is either Handmade, Antique, or Both!!!!!!!

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
^^^
Holy ****!!! What does that socket Weigh????
I made one that is a Copy of the Harley Tool...
Everything I have is either Handmade, Antique, or Both!!!!!!!
Most I have are handmade or later model. You can still get the sprocket wrench.

Reactions: Racepres

·
Super Moderator
20,453 Posts
a impact will fix that. I believe it’s a 1 7/8” socket. Normal socket won’t work. Get a buddy or you that can weld. Cut that socket in half. Weld in a piece of pipethats 5-6” long and same ish diameter. Now it will fit over trans shaft. No locking tool necessary. Remember it’s backwards threads.
An impact wrench can damage the transmission internally. So use at you own risk.

A socket like that won't work with a breaker bar do to the lack of rear end support. So that forces you back the the impact.

Nothing that you might brake in that transmission is going to cost less than buy the correct socket.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I don't run spokes and often lock rear wheels by putting a wooden hammer handle through the spokes then taking up slack by turning the trans sprocket until the hammer handle is firmly against the swingarm.

·
Registered
16,986 Posts
You have 160 hp out of a Evo? Help from boost or a bottle?
You haven't paid attention to the world according to LT I see.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I use a plumbers strap wrench. Works on both belt or chain pulls. I converted my bike over to chain 18 years ago. Once I got up an around 160 hp. Belts didn’t last long.
Sure would like to See that Bad Boy at the Harley Drags!!!!!

Pls just give us a MPH from the Strip...preferably 1/4 mile but 1/8 will help!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts