V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning,

After some routine maintenance last weekend I went to start my bike and got a "Big Surprise". The engine seemed to start but the starter motor was engaged. I turned off the ignition as well as the engine stop switch on the handlebar but the engine kept going along with the starter motor. After 2 or 3 minutes smoke started coming from the starter and as I was getting ready to physically cut the positive battery terminal I seemed to stall the engine or the engine just ran out of fuel. I was really worried that my bike was going to catch fire in my garage.

Now I'm gun shy about even trying to push the starter button. I wouldn't be surprised if the starter is shot and or the separate solenoid. Has anyone else experienced this and how did they fix it?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yeah, had this happen on an '81 once. It IS harrowing to say the least. Quick fix is to change the starter relay--that's actually a separate circuit from the ignition and will keep the solenoid engaged as long as it is stuck shut, which in turn will keep the starter spinning... and you know the rest. Change the relay, check all your hot wire connections (my battery post melted away when this happened to me), and if the started turns the next time--after you replace the relay--you should be OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts