V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the title wasn't very good but here goes. I just got an 87 FXSTC and it's been setting for about 4 years. I shop tried to rebuild the carb but said it was too bad and put another carb on it that they said was ok. It is a stock carb Keihin 84-89, all the same I think anyway whenever the gas valve is turned on it overflows and pukes on the ground. I think that may also be why I"m occasionally flooding out at idle.
Anyway, the guy at the shop told me the Keihn carbs are bad to do that and I should find a 90 or newer CV carb that would be much better.
Is he right or trying to make a sale?
I found a 97 complete fatboy evo carb, would this be a much better replacement? Or what do I need to do it get it fixed and fixed right. I'm not looking to add a bunch of power I just want it to idle and performe properly for now.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Setting the float level on a cv is a pain in the butt for some guys. If the fuel inlet valve & seat are good its the float that needs adjusting.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Kags is right. It sounds like the check valve in the float bowl is screwed up. No, all Keihn carbs do not do this. The carb like yours that was used up thru 89 models is OK but not near as good as the CV carb. If you have a CV carb, put it on yours. Your 87 came with a manifold that used what Harley referred to as compliance fittings (rubber) to mount to the heads. You also should get a later manifold which is all metal except for a rubber gasket on each side. They should be pretty easy to find. I think the manifold change also happened in 90. If the CV carb you got was used, chances are it has been rejetted and you could probably use it as is. I would try to find out with what and how though, just so you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts