V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just picked up an 86 xlh. having problems starting it. turns over, starts, then sputters. i have to do this about ten times, but once i get it running (warm), it runs well. a few questions before i start ripping it apart (i'm new to harleys): i want to check if sediment built up in the fuel tank filter. is the petcock valve a vacuum valve? can i drain from the petcock, or check if the petcock is beat (never replaced according to garage records). any help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
fderrick said:
just picked up an 86 xlh. having problems starting it. turns over, starts, then sputters. i have to do this about ten times, but once i get it running (warm), it runs well. a few questions before i start ripping it apart (i'm new to harleys): i want to check if sediment built up in the fuel tank filter. is the petcock valve a vacuum valve? can i drain from the petcock, or check if the petcock is beat (never replaced according to garage records). any help is greatly appreciated
No vacuum on that petcock. Yes, you can drain from the "reserve" position and then go ahead and remove the petcock. There is a very thin gasket in it that probably should be replaced. The HD Service Manual would be a big help to you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts