V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time poster so I apologize if this is not well described.
I recently got an 86 Sportster. I left it outside overnight and when I woke up in the morning it was raining. It probably rain for about 2 hours on the bike before I woke up and moved it. When I tried to start it outside, it just clicked and killed the lights. After I moved it into the garage I dried it off and tried again and it just made a clicking sound, no engine noise. I took the battery out, dried everything off and put it on a trickle charger for the night. When the battery read charged I put it in, tried it again and the same thing happened. Recharging the battery again right now (when I hooked it up it said it needed charged and is now reading about 80% charged). Any idea what's going on?
Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
A trickle charger won't do the job. If the battery is loosing its charge replace it. Cranking the the engine with low voltage will $horten the starter life.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Take the bat in and have it load tested chances are it has a bad cel and a new bat. will get you on your way.I don't think the rain was a factor,just an annoyance.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,901 Posts
Take the bat in and have it load tested chances are it has a bad cel and a new bat. will get you on your way.
@gree: Most autoparts stores will run a load test on your battery for free (call ahead of course). It tests the conditions on the battery when trying to start the motor. If it doesn't have enough juice, then it needs to be replaced. Make sure its fully charged before testing it though.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, thanks for the input. I put it on the trickle charger and got it to full charge and when I took it in the battery test came back good. With the battery hooked up and the key in the ignition i get lights, but not a sound when i push the button. I guess there is some relay that should click but I'm not even hearing that.

·
Premium Member
1,718 Posts
The relay is under the left side cover, thump it with your finger.

Also, the cable to the starter can corode and crack at the crimp {up inside the insulation}.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts