V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Had some strong noise from the lower end so in process opening the engine. Found that the flywheel is free in the crankcase so taking it of .
at this stage I’m trying to id the piston for new ring set ,it looks like it had some Scratches.
thanks Flywheel noise

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,087 Posts
Rod bearing failed. You'll need to replace the pin and bearing, and perhaps the rod. If the rod insert is not cut through, then the rod can be rebuilt. I would just send the whole wheel set out for a rebuild. From the looks of those pistons they are going to measure out as "paper weights". So a jug bore and new pistons too.

Take a look at the cam chest. An issue in there could have caused the crank pin to fail. Oil pump drive or pinion bushing issue. A new short block is like $2350. So figure out what the repair is going to cost, and how long it will take, before you lock yourself in.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rod bearing failed. You'll need to replace the pin and bearing, and perhaps the rod. If the rod insert is not cut through, then the rod can be rebuilt. I would just send the whole wheel set out for a rebuild. From the looks of those pistons they are going to measure out as "paper weights". So a jug bore and new pistons too.

Take a look at the cam chest. An issue in there could have caused the crank pin to fail. Oil pump drive or pinion bushing issue. A new short block is like $2350. So figure out what the repair is going to cost, and how long it will take, before you lock yourself in.
This in normal for 85 motor ? I was changing oil and filter on a timely base and didn’t ride so much as this is my second bike .thanks for taking the time to reply

·
Registered
30 Posts
1985? If you are not the only/original owner, I might suggest this problem did not come from you. However, if you are the only/original owner, things happen.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
1985? If you are not the only/original owner, I might suggest this problem did not come from you. However, if you are the only/original owner, things happen.
Not the original owner , got it 5 years ago and it was fun till today. The problem is that I can have a new engine ship to israel in Normal cost , trying to figure out what to do.

·
Super Moderator
20,087 Posts
This in normal for 85 motor ? I was changing oil and filter on a timely base and didn’t ride so much as this is my second bike .thanks for taking the time to reply
Not normal, but also not unheard of. Usually its from some other issue and doesn't manifest itself until much later. On Evo's it's usually on motors that previously had cam bearing failures. But I have seen it happen because the cam cover was improperly replaced without reaming. And I saw one that had a piece of blue goo blocking the oil port in the pinion shaft.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
my guess would be. the lower end is toastl,,, and that needs to come the rest 9f the way apart to assess the extent of the damage... then as therm suggests put a pen to paper and decide what you want or can afford.. my first guess would be in the mid $3k range..

·
Registered
855 Posts
Best to remove and tear down the engine (and remove and clean the oil tank and replace the oil hoses since there's no reason to reuse ancient hose, buy quality hose, I use Gates Barricade fuel injection hose for oil and fuel lines but there are many choices). I zoomed the piston photos on my 4K monitor. They need replacing. (Cylinders should only be bored using torque plates.)
This is a good time to consider your options. Any Evo big twin is a direct bolt-in swap and they normally last a very long time so I'd consider a takeout engine from a reputable dismantler if the cost of a rebuild is too high. Read this so you know what to look for in cases: EVO case issues, what to look for
This is a good time to upgrade your engine and there are many options. Feel free to ask for detailed advice as you inspect the engine, and post lots of photos to help us help you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts