V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am a novice at this but am picking up tomorrow a 1984 Sportster that looks okay overall but has a dented fuel tank I'd like to replace. I'm pretty sure the tank on it didn't originally go with the bike, and perhaps the fenders don't either? The owner apparently got it this way and doesn't know either. In any case, the tank has the speedo built right into it and so if I replace the tank do I need to find a tank with a speedo built in or can I salvage my old one and just put it on the new tank. I can't identify the tank, it looks much bigger then belongs on most sportsters more like a fat bob or something but I do like the look of it on there, just don't like that big baseball sized dent on the left side. Can anyone help me identify the tank and tins (make/model/year?) so I can buy a replacement tank (or maybe find a complete set of used painted tins on ebay or somewhere to replace them?) I'm hoping it is something I can just drop on and have fit without welding etc and am assuming that it's cheaper to find another used tank then to have a body shop repair the dent.

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Yup aftermarket - see em on ebay too...doesn't look like a difficult fix...but matching the paint could be an issue...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Looks like it could be the one! Remember, that tank will need to be pressure-tested to ensure there are no pinholes, which will be catastrophic to fresh paint. In addition, it will most certainly require bodywork (they ALL do) before paint. These are in addition to the price of paint, so take that into consideration too. Sometimes, you find a set already painted on ebay that might work out....or even one of those exact tanks that has already been painted - that could be good b/c you wouldn't have to worry about leaks or bodywork (hopefully). Jireh cycles is another very good resource too...

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Ya know, that might be an easy fix...you might want to bring it to local body shop or painter up there and see if they can mudd the dent, prime and reshoot the black and then apply the decal, then reclear. Maybe you should just put a couple bullet hole stickers on it and ride it this year... :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the wording "Harley Davidson" just a decal? I didn't know that. Would I get that online if I wanted to just bring the tank to someone and have them pull the dent, spray it with black and put the decal on as you suggest?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Matt, it looks like it is. You can tell if you can feel it under the clearcoat. If it is totally smooth it could have been painted on. Here's one other option if you cannot find the exact decal - have both of the black areas sanded down smooth (if decals) and then shoot them both black again. At this point you can either put on new decals, get HD airbrushed on, or just clear it and then run tank badges. To repair it may not be 'cheap' but should be about 1/2 of what it would cost to buy a new tank and have repainted.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
have both of the black areas sanded down smooth (if decals) and then shoot them both black again. At this point you can either put on new decals, get HD airbrushed on, or just clear it and then run tank badges.
Great idea! I think I'll give that a try. I'll now start searching the net for some cool HD decals or badges... That should save me a bundle over replacing the whole tank.

Thanks very much!
Matt

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Check out chicago harley davidson's website, I believe they have most of the decals available...prepare yourself - details aren't cheap either! Again, ebay has lots of badges, too...good luck in the search!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Wow, that's awesome. Looks like a match! My three red lines under the words Harley-Davidson appear straigher but maybe thats just how it looks applied given the tank is slightly bowed? Now I'll just have to do one side. Saved me a lot of time searching, I appreciate it! Now to order one and make a trip to NAPA for supplies...

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts