V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Bakers was about 4k for a 6 into 4 for my bike. I went with a rebuild kit new shift drum new forks new pawl and a new clutch

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Can someone confirm if there's supposed to be a quad seal on the main shaft behind the sprocket spacer? Did the 84 have this seal?

·
FOAD
279 Posts

11165 QUAD SEAL, BALL BEARING (LATE MODEL)​
According to online parts the late model 84 5 speeds has a quad seal as above.
Would wait though for a response from some of the guys that still have and work on 84 models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok because when I took the main shaft seal out there was no quad seal. I replaced spacer also with new. Seems to have a slight leak. Just want to make sure for when I go together again

·
Registered
16,586 Posts
Ok because when I took the main shaft seal out there was no quad seal. I replaced spacer also with new. Seems to have a slight leak. Just want to make sure for when I go together again
The quad seal goes between the spacer and the final drive bearing. It's a square oring about a 1 1/8" OD and 1/16" (rough estimate) thickness.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
20,199 Posts
The late 84 did not come with a quad seal. And it did not have a race on the main shaft for the primary bearing. They were intended to be used with secondary chain housings, so sealing them up was not a priority.

Now with that said, the spacer on the main drive gear is probably bad. And that is one of those treasure hunt items, unobtainable. So you use a later one and cut the length down on the lath. That also gives you a spacer with the recess for the quad seal. As for the Primary bearing, making sure you don't cut the mainshaft oring and using some 3 bond is about all you can do.

If you want the drive line to be leak free for any amount of time, a later setup should be on your shopping list. Or think about a dry primary. .

·
FOAD
279 Posts
The late 84 did not come with a quad seal. And it did not have a race on the main shaft for the primary bearing. They were intended to be used with secondary chain housings, so sealing them up was not a priority.
So it must have been 85 that the belt went on the FXRS?
I always thought that they did a running change late in the 84 models and went to belt drive but I am probably thinking of something else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The quad seal goes between the spacer and the final drive bearing. It's a square oring about a 1 1/8" OD and 1/16" (rough estimate) thickness.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
I replaced the spacer already my question was of the late 84 had the quad seal

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #30

Now with that said, the spacer on the main drive gear is probably bad. And that is one of those treasure hunt items, unobtainable. So you use a later one and cut the length down on the lath. That also gives you a spacer with the recess for the quad seal. As for the Primary bearing, making sure you don't cut the mainshaft oring and using some 3 bond is about all you can do.

If you want the drive line to be leak free for any amount of time, a later setup should be on your shopping list. Or think about a dry primary. .
Are you referring to the spacer that goes behind the sprocket? Because that's replaced already

·
FOAD
279 Posts
I just checked the late 1984 models went to a diaphragm spring clutch,or wet clutch as It Is often referred to.
There was a o-ring added as per service bulletin m-878
The new 1984-1/2 transmission mainshaft has an o-ring oi I seal installed under the bearing In the primary chaincase.The seal prevents leakage of lubricant from the primary chalncase. The o-ring should be replaced, prior to reassembly, whenvever the primary chaincase is removed.

I knew something changed but it was so long ago.
Service Bulletin M-878

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I just checked the late 1984 models went to a diaphragm spring clutch,or wet clutch as It Is often referred to.
There was a o-ring added as per service bulletin m-878
The new 1984-1/2 transmission mainshaft has an o-ring oi I seal installed under the bearing In the primary chaincase.The seal prevents leakage of lubricant from the primary chalncase. The o-ring should be replaced, prior to reassembly, whenvever the primary chaincase is removed.

I knew something changed but it was so long ago.
Service Bulletin M-878
Yes thank you I knew about that seal and replaced it also

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Does anybody know if the baker shift forks work in the stock trans? They are not same as oem. I also have a new baker shift drum

·
Registered
23 Posts
Recheck your primary chain tension, as your chain gets hot it gets tighter causing pressure on clutch hub. Check it cold use a open end wrench to measure the slack in the center of the top of the chain, a wrench end is much easier to tell than using a ruler.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking into a baker gear set for my case could not find anything. I have disassembled my case everything is out. Just dont know if I want to have my gear set gone thru or put some thing else in. Also looking into a complete baker 5 speed trans and be done with it 🤷🏻‍♀️ View attachment 265852
I'd skip the Baker if you want smooth shifts. Their 6sp FXR likes to miss 5-4 down shifts.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Recheck your primary chain tension, as your chain gets hot it gets tighter causing pressure on clutch hub. Check it cold use a open end wrench to measure the slack in the center of the top of the chain, a wrench end is much easier to tell than using a ruler.
I will check it once it's back together.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts