V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody new to the forum here. I'm having trouble with my fxr and upshifting when I've been riding for 20 minutes or so. It seems heat related as I shut the bike down for about an hour and it shifted fine again but I didn't go any real distance. last season I had the same issue I made the adjustment to the shifter pawl. Today was the test and same problem. Is this something more involved than a simple adjustment? Thanks mike

·
Registered
8,829 Posts
the shifting will not be affected by the heat, if the shifter pawl were the cause.. if it is heat induced ibwould be looking at the clutch..
is it an early or late 84,,, early has a dry clutch late has a wet clutch..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a late 84. Has the wet clutch. I did the clutch adjustment in the maintenance manual

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I dislike that Clutch Intensely... much preferring the Shovelhead clutch, or the Later Diaphram Clutch..
Betting that clutch is Not releasing properly... and needs to come apart... If you do Not have a manual, and the Proper tools, do Not attempt... No Idea how many of those Clutches I have seen all Screwed up, and broken... 3 or 4 in the shop right now... Not Mine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just said I have the maintenance manual for the bike and tools. Clutch has been apart discs are within tolerances. A local shop says it could be bushings and shims are worn due to lack of fluid. This bike is new to me last year but did have a large trans leak

·
Registered
1982 FXR Shovelhead
23 Posts
Most motorcycles I have ridden can be upshifted without even using the clutch, so I'd be looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Most motorcycles I have ridden can be upshifted without even using the clutch, so I'd be looking elsewhere.
Only if Power, is somehow interrupted... to simply stomp into gear...if possible... under load, will ruin shift forks and gear engagement surfaces... in Very Short Order..I have worked on enough Air Shift systems that had insufficient "kill time" to know exactly how this works...
But, if shifting cannot be accomplished with the blip of a throttle...or some Unloading of the Tranny... you are Correct... probably Not the clutch!!

·
Registered
870 Posts
I agree with Racepres on the clutch dislike and (of course) the shifting diagnosis, and I don't care for the early gearset and clutch release either. Sounds like an opportunity for a spline shaft transmission/clutch/primary upgrade. I wouldn't put any money into a worn tapered shaft setup. Those went away for good reasons and the upgrade can get you the much more powerful Denso starter that's easier to work on and whose solenoid takes the extremely convenient pushbutton end covers. I upgraded my '88 FXR and any future keepers will get the same. All the info ya need is in this forum (THANK YOU, gents!). A consolidated "spline shaft upgrade" thread would probably be a good idea for future reference but there's plenty of info. You could continue this thread to get inputs.
It's also a convenient time to replace hardened rubber mounts etc.
EDIT:
I was browsing Ebay and noticed this case listed under the wrong part number (which is why it's not listed as an FXR case). (This is why I browse Ebay using a 4K monitor instead of a phone screen.) The case is obviously a later Denso style case as instantly shown by the large starter hole. Look close and you'll see 33296-89A on the casting. OP could stuff later guts into this one and upgrade cheep with late spline shaft guts.

If ya run forwards you can use a bagger inner primary (or drill it for mids) or V-Twin sell new offshore inners drilled for mids for about 250 bucks (I've not used one personally, mine are Delkron).

If you want a very nice heavy duty case Solenberg (who bought Delkron) make these. I bought one and they're stout.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree with Racepres on the clutch dislike and (of course) the shifting diagnosis, and I don't care for the early gearset and clutch release either. Sounds like an opportunity for a spline shaft transmission/clutch/primary upgrade. I wouldn't put any money into a worn tapered shaft setup. Those went away for good reasons and the upgrade can get you the much more powerful Denso starter that's easier to work on and whose solenoid takes the extremely convenient pushbutton end covers. I upgraded my '88 FXR and any future keepers will get the same. All the info ya need is in this forum (THANK YOU, gents!). A consolidated "spline shaft upgrade" thread would probably be a good idea for future reference but there's plenty of info. You could continue this thread to get inputs.
It's also a convenient time to replace hardened rubber mounts etc.
EDIT:
I was browsing Ebay and noticed this case listed under the wrong part number (which is why it's not listed as an FXR case). (This is why I browse Ebay using a 4K monitor instead of a phone screen.) The case is obviously a later Denso style case as instantly shown by the large starter hole. Look close and you'll see 33296-89A on the casting. OP could stuff later guts into this one and upgrade cheep with late spline shaft guts.

If ya run forwards you can use a bagger inner primary (or drill it for mids) or V-Twin sell new offshore inners drilled for mids for about 250 bucks (I've not used one personally, mine are Delkron).

If you want a very nice heavy duty case Solenberg (who bought Delkron) make these. I bought one and they're stout.
Hey thanks for the input. I'm not against doing that upgrade of course the issue is the price for all that. I have no idea what an upgrade like that goes for? The thought of getting a new gear set for my case came across my mind is that something that would be somewhat reliable at least get me on the road? I'm fairly new with Harley so all the upgrades you mentioned are new to me. Thanks

·
Registered
56 Posts
Fxrrider08,
If your shifting-arm adjusting screw is centered correctly...…...I would look at possibly the primary chain being adjusted too tight. This will pull on the transmission mainshaft/clutch as the parts warm up.....and possibly cause the issues you are having.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fxrrider08,
If your shifting-arm adjusting screw is centered correctly...…...I would look at possibly the primary chain being adjusted too tight. This will pull on the transmission mainshaft/clutch as the parts warm up.....and possibly cause the issues you are having.
The primary chain had the proper slack as I adjusted it in accordance with the maintenance manual

·
Super Moderator
20,189 Posts
Check the spring and make sure its deflecting the correct amount. Its set by which holes you put the bolts in. Unless you find the deflection to be exactly perfect, back off one setting. Less deflection is better than to much.

That clutch lacks a damper spring and shim, so you can not do anything about the friction zone. Set it for maximum plate lift and let it eat. If the pivot is loose in the end cover, and many are, you'll need to fix that first.

·
Registered
870 Posts
The thought of getting a new gear set for my case came across my mind is that something that would be somewhat reliable at least get me on the road?
The stock gearsets themselves were decent, I just don't care for the tapered shaft, the clutch and the release but you can painlessly install a complete tapered shaft gearset into that case or buy a whole gearbox since tapered shaft takeoffs are common on Ebay BUT I don't know all the casting vs. inner primary variations on the early bikes so I defer to those who do to figure out what bolts to your 1984 inner primary.

General video showing what's inside. Example is a splined shaft:

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
And
There is still Nothing wrong with upgrading, to the '82-'83 Tapered shaft setup... Millions of Shovelheads runnin around with less clutch troubles than one might think...In General all the "Clutch Problem" talk on Shovelheads, is from Newbys, to the System.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The stock gearsets themselves were decent, I just don't care for the tapered shaft, the clutch and the release but you can painlessly install a complete tapered shaft gearset into that case or buy a whole gearbox since tapered shaft takeoffs are common on Ebay BUT I don't know all the casting vs. inner primary variations on the early bikes so I defer to those who do to figure out what bolts to your 1984 inner primary.

General video showing what's inside. Example is a splined shaft:
I was looking into a baker gear set for my case could not find anything. I have disassembled my case everything is out. Just dont know if I want to have my gear set gone thru or put some thing else in. Also looking into a complete baker 5 speed trans and be done with it 🤷🏻‍♀️ View attachment 265852

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I was looking into a baker gear set for my case could not find anything. I have disassembled my case everything is out. Just dont know if I want to have my gear set gone thru or put some thing else in. Also looking into a complete baker 5 speed trans and be done with it 🤷🏻‍♀️ View attachment 265852
No Question...Baker is First Class Stuff... Thought you had to go 6 Speed tho... but...matters Not.
I went Post '94 [Touring] Trans, Primary and Starter on latest Build... wanted the Clutch and the Starter mostly..

1 - 20 of 41 Posts