V-Twin Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
A BH CAM IS FOR HYDRAULIC LIFTERS (and more friendly to lifters) A B cam is for solids.

·
Super Moderator
3,469 Posts
At one time Vern Ott was making precision fit lifters and guides for the Shovel, this was about 20 years ago $400 a set back then. Velva-touch lifters
I'm not sure of the business relationship of the company and Vern Ott. However,I installed a complete set of lifters blocks, and pushrods about 10 years ago in my 1980 FLT and they are working fine.This is not my primary bike.I probably have about 12,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'm not sure of the business relationship of the company and Vern Ott. However,I installed a complete set of lifters blocks, and pushrods about 10 years ago in my 1980 FLT and they are working fine.This is not my primary bike.I probably have about 12,000 miles on them.
This is not my primary bike either but I'm trying to make it less maintenance and quiet it down some....

·
Registered
539 Posts
That may be... but my A/B works just fine on Hydros...and the B or the B/H do Not Work for Crap on any lower compression engine I have ever put them in!!
Did you mean AB? T he author has a B which worked fine in the 88" Sidewinder torque motor we had. The B would wind like crazy with low compressio but yielded less than 30 mpg; by raising the compression into 8:1 range it averaged 45- 60 but would not wind ou like crazy. The BH has gentler ramps to amp up the hydro lifters. Not interested in AB cam myself.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I decided to go back with all new parts. New pushrods, lifters, and new BH cam. Expensive but now I know what I have. Started assembly and the cam does not fit the cam bushing. So off to get honed to fit. Should be back together this week. Thanks for all of the info.....

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Did you mean AB? T he author has a B which worked fine in the 88" Sidewinder torque motor we had. The B would wind like crazy with low compressio but yielded less than 30 mpg; by raising the compression into 8:1 range it averaged 45- 60 but would not wind ou like crazy. The BH has gentler ramps to amp up the hydro lifters. Not interested in AB cam myself.
While I really like my AB....
The B and BH... Not so Much... unless Higher Compression.. Personally rather have an old H, than any, for a Stock Engine..
If Note.. I use the Kick Starter much more often than Not, on all 4-speeds.
Never checked Fuel Economy... Have an 883, Evo Sporty, if I want to be Fuel Frugal!!!!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don't know what has been done to this engine. All I know is it has s&s heads and a Andrew's B cam. Don't know if it has been bored but it doesn't have the orignal jugs. When I took it apart 2 of the lifters had stuck rollers with very little wear or damage. That's why I decided to put all new parts back in it. I'm not a shovelhead guru by a long shot. I know just enough to get me in trouble. But it does haul the mail pretty darn good....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts