V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 82 fxr with s&s heads and a Andrew B cam with solid lifters. I want to get away from adjusting them as often as I would with hydraulic lifters. I know I'll loose the jump out of the hole, but I don't race or raise alot of hell on it. I ride it. Thanks in advance....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Rumor is Johnson Hilifts are always in the top 3
I run a set with 600 lift, N.P. but i use a real short TBO for lifters of any brand.
Also, i adjust so lifters are near the bottom rather mid-stroke. This makes more sense to me.
Dont buy off Ebay or amazon !

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
I got a set from ebay years back and was doin em and they sent 3 std and 1 was over sized.002 or 004 over cant remember the increment... i was pissed had to stop work and go to the dealer to get 1 more...the sales person didnt even check/know about oversized and they were a big lifter seller on stinkbay...got refund after a heated call

·
Registered
9,901 Posts
Shovel hydraulic lifters, are 2 piece,, last used 39 years ago...most anything you find will be chiwanese,, very low quality, copies.. noisy and prone to roller failures that will cause extensive damage to the engine....

Back in the day i would replace the rollers, by 20k miles with any performance cam or build,,, cheap insurance

S&S, used to make a hydraulic conversion kit,,, that used evo components.. it was expensive....

When/if you go hydraulic, check the tappet blocks for plugged oil feed h9les to the lifters,,, solid lift did not bneed pressurized oil...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
For those with Shovels that is great info. No matter how expensive it is, it cant be as bad as throwing a lifter!
That is expensive!

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Of Note.. It is actually Rarely that I have encountered a Hydro Unit for a Shovel that is Non-Functional... but, as Tallterry said... Roller failure, ( and Tappet Fit), almost always are the "wear factor".. Oversize units are available, and desireable, If you can find Quality Items.. the rollers on unknown, or Import units are Always suspect. Problem is, Roller replacement, (which to my mind is Most desireable), is most often Not a job for just any old wanna-be Mechanic. It needs to be done properly, precisely, and with utmost care in both components, tooling, and setup. Do Not look for someone who Can do it. Rather, Find someone who Has done it.
Good Luck. And, If anyone locates a Quality Hydro unit for Shovelheads, especially in Oversize. Please Share. Final Note; I for one, have Zero interest in Evo anything, in my Shovelhead, thank you. I already Have an Evo, and do Not desire a Hybrid anything.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Just to further confuse things, I don't even have an EVO anymore. I didn't mean to hijack the thread, Just looking for clarity on the lifter manufacturing side. Thanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Of Note.. It is actually Rarely that I have encountered a Hydro Unit for a Shovel that is Non-Functional... but, as Tallterry said... Roller failure, ( and Tappet Fit), almost always are the "wear factor".. Oversize units are available, and desireable, If you can find Quality Items.. the rollers on unknown, or Import units are Always suspect. Problem is, Roller replacement, (which to my mind is Most desireable), is most often Not a job for just any old wanna-be Mechanic. It needs to be done properly, precisely, and with utmost care in both components, tooling, and setup. Do Not look for someone who Can do it. Rather, Find someone who Has done it.
Good Luck. And, If anyone locates a Quality Hydro unit for Shovelheads, especially in Oversize. Please Share. Final Note; I for one, have Zero interest in Evo anything, in my Shovelhead, thank you. I already Have an Evo, and do Not desire a Hybrid anything.
Thank you for the reply. If I do change to hydraulic, I will make sure it is done right.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I much Prefer Hydraulic, unless, I am running a racing Application..
Many Shovelheads were converted to solids... Many!!! lots were simply done with a drop in Conversion... Hydro unit Replacement. Those Hydro Units are out there.. hard to say how many are sitting around in the folks shop that replaced them.. Perseverance!!! Look long enough...a set will turn up...Maybe you get lucky and yours were simply the drop in conversion, and Hydros will drop in instead....Long as body fits stools properly, and Rollers are Good condition... No reason Not to drop Hydro's right back in there!!! learn to adjust absolutely properly also BTW..
Good Luck.. Every once in a Great while I spy a set... next time I will let you know

1 - 20 of 30 Posts