V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wrench
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an '82 FXR that has had a lot of mods over the years, but is in decent condition.
Has a fresh S&S headed 80" and is equipped with an S&S carb.
Frame has been raked to 40deg, not sure I'm going to like that?.............
Have a replica Deuce fork set with trees I am going to install, along with a 16" profile laced wheel. (fender yet to be determined)
Replace the FL rear fender with a stock style.
Would like to convert to a later style primary to gain more reliable starter, but currently is equipped with a BDS belt primary.
Has a fatboy rear wheel, and chain drive.

Would like input about the primary, thoughts.........

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
IMO the Primary and Starter are the very least of your Concerns... And I have both an '82, and a '94..
Now the belt Primary... BDL is good stuff...especially with the Pro Clutch.. That is on my '83 that sports an E-Motor.... Been down the Dragstrip numerous times... No Slip... But only good for about a ton in the 1/4, as it is Fairly Stock!!

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
OK, what concerns do you think I should have other than the pipe mount?
Alot of Personal Preference there... I personally love as Close to OE as practicable..
Which means ... If it ain't an FXWG... I really dislike the FXWG Rear Fender!!! Fat bobs??? Ditto..
Exhaust, and Rake??? I will go look at your "project"
But... Opinions are going to Vary Widely...

Edit... I do Not understand Raking the neck of an FXR... Somebody needs their Paddy Whacked!!! Course... wide glide front ends are Not an Enhancement either...IMO
Personally... That one would either be made a DragBike [due to the Rake] or Offed... while Demand is High!!!
Sorry..... You Asked...
Dragbike.... Drop a Mean assed Evo into it.. maybe upgrade to later Drivetrain, Longer Swingarm, Lighter Front end!! and a Lightweighrt sheet metal change... 11.50 Bike ...
The Take-offs are a good bit of "trading material"

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Found this and didn't know where to put it so I'll drop it here.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Hillcat, that's a great overview of the FXR, maybe it would be a good idea to start a new thread with it and place it in the stickies, that way new FXR owners can access it instead of asking the usual questions that pop up all the time. An old forum member, Classic Rider, also did a great write up as well, which is somewhere on the internet.

FXR2evo99 is Classic Rider

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
^^ As Usual... Plenty of Mistakes..so take all these Keyboard "Reviews" with some measure of Salt...
I quit at "1983 FXRs were treated to belt drive "
should have known when thet try to give credit for Development to the "new Ownership" when it was in Fact AMF Money and Resources that created the FXR... and of course Hired Erik Buell!!!!
They did get it right with "mounted to the frame utilizing Harley's Tri-mount system - an adaptation of the FLT's rubber mounts. " vs calling it a variation of the FLT... as the FXR was All New...simply utilizing Tri-Mount and some Improved Rigidity cues...
One Final Peeve... Who has a Documented 1983 EVO FXR??? And "Most had an Evo by '85 is Ludicrous!!!
Damn Few Shovelheads exhist from 1985...and No One has ever documented one that was not a Foriegn Contract Cop Bike..
I'll Just quit Bitching Now...
I will leave with a Couple of Better [Not Perfect] Links
This is as good as I have found Published...
Kind of a "wade through it" kinda piece... FXR HISTORY

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
V-STRUM - Somebody already did. I'm not supposed to post links to other websites but is it OK to mention about the world. wide. web. cvoharley. com? Go to FXR secton and it's under the Sticky's. Good write-up under FXR History.

Racepres - That Hot Bike article is good.
I posted the Laughing Dog one because he has a good sense of humor not really for the factual info.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Hey Prez (and any other FXR fanatic) go to this one I mentioned before for FXR history. The guy gets pretty into it.
It's worth the effort.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Hey Prez (and any other FXR fanatic) go to this one I mentioned before for FXR history. The guy gets pretty into it.
It's worth the effort.
Yep
Wade thru it...
^^ As Usual... Plenty of Mistakes..so take all these Keyboard "Reviews" with some measure of Salt...
I quit at "1983 FXRs were treated to belt drive "
should have known when thet try to give credit for Development to the "new Ownership" when it was in Fact AMF Money and Resources that created the FXR... and of course Hired Erik Buell!!!!
They did get it right with "mounted to the frame utilizing Harley's Tri-mount system - an adaptation of the FLT's rubber mounts. " vs calling it a variation of the FLT... as the FXR was All New...simply utilizing Tri-Mount and some Improved Rigidity cues...
One Final Peeve... Who has a Documented 1983 EVO FXR??? And "Most had an Evo by '85 is Ludicrous!!!
Damn Few Shovelheads exhist from 1985...and No One has ever documented one that was not a Foriegn Contract Cop Bike..
I'll Just quit Bitching Now...
I will leave with a Couple of Better [Not Perfect] Links
This is as good as I have found Published...
Kind of a "wade through it" kinda piece... FXR HISTORY

·
Registered
806 Posts
The market may or may not be high any more as many adverts will have been placed before the economy cratered so a sale might be problematic. If ya got it cheap and aren't in love with it selling might suit ya since recessions spit lots of toys onto the market and the HD owner base isn't getting any younger. The best way for most people to get the motorcycle they really want is begin with the motorcycle they really want.. You can have a frame shop (or other competent fabricator who can accurately perform the work) sort out the rake, it's only steel after all. I'd tend to keep it since I prefer FXRs and I'd hang onto the primary even if you change things because many companies will tank as toy demand contracts and FXR aftermarket parts aren't super common to begin with. The older HD aftermarket parts market will contract for quite some time. FXRs are so versatile every HD enthusiast should have at least one.

·
Wrench
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The market may or may not be high any more as many adverts will have been placed before the economy cratered so a sale might be problematic. If ya got it cheap and aren't in love with it selling might suit ya since recessions spit lots of toys onto the market and the HD owner base isn't getting any younger. The best way for most people to get the motorcycle they really want is begin with the motorcycle they really want.. You can have a frame shop (or other competent fabricator who can accurately perform the work) sort out the rake, it's only steel after all. I'd tend to keep it since I prefer FXRs and I'd hang onto the primary even if you change things because many companies will tank as toy demand contracts and FXR aftermarket parts aren't super common to begin with. The older HD aftermarket parts market will contract for quite some time. FXRs are so versatile every HD enthusiast should have at least one.
I have no intention of selling it till I get bored with it.
I recently sold the only other shovel I had, a '78 FX 7800mi original paint bike.
Been looking for an FXR for quite some time, it being a shovel was a bonus. yes I bought it cheap ($2500)
The frame rake is what it is, I'll try it.
Looking to build a fun, unique bar hopper
Fat tires front and rear, late FL swingarm, always liked the look of Deuce forks and trees.
It should be a fun build, and its so far from stock now, it won't bother me to modify it. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts