V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Scumdog from New Zealand here,I intend going to the U.S.A. next year for the centenary at Sturgis. I have this idea (an insane one according to some!) of taking my 1981 iron 1000cc Sportster with me, I know it's kinda puny but I have owned it for 8 years now and have got a bit attached to it.
I want help and advice on the advisability or otherwise of taking such a scoot to the U.S. and using it on long trips so let rip and say it like it is.
I have the idea I would need an oil cooler, bigger gas tank and maybe a smaller back sprocket to give the sporty "longer legs" for the freeway.
The bike was an old one when brought into N.Z in the late '80's but since then I have fitted it with new piston, valves & guides about 12,000 miles ago, it also gets new oil&filter every 1,500 to 2,000 miles.
It also has a new generator,voltage regulator and other smaller items put on in the last 4-5 years. Most times I use it for runs of 300+ miles but I do a little round town stuff. Cheers from Scumdog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon guys, surely someone out there in H.D. land can give me some advice? - even if it's not what i want to hear! Scumdog.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Better carry at least three credit cards. (Visa Card, American Express, and a Master Card or what ever ones u use.) Best of luck while here in the states.

G

·
Do it! Take pictures and post 'em for us! Lot's of guys ride Sporty's cross country (they must have carbon fiber kidneys, me too wimpy for that ... :) ...) Alternatively, for less than the cost of shipping your bike, you could rent a bagger while you are here. Of course if riding YOUR bike across the USA is your dream, just do it.

Long rides here probably aren't much different than long rides in New Zealand, except for a wider range of temperature extremes, and the relative lack of sheep road hazards... are you on the wrong side of the road down there? Must be weird shifting with the right foot and throttling with the left hand ... ;)

·
Registered
903 Posts
Bigger gas tank would definately be a plus, oil cooler couldn't hurt but I don't really know about the sprocket. Maybe if you post that question in the Sportster Technical area someone knowledgable would reply. Sounds like it's going to be a fun trip!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Boismier, thanks for the reply, I sent an e-mail but to the wrong person, never mind I'll repeat it here for you.
We do ride/drive on the "wrong' side of the road over here but the controls on our scoots are just the same as in the USA, however our cars have the steering wheel on the right and the shifting is done left handed - except in any imported US cars of course.
Our roads are enough of a hazard themselves without the livestock, some bits of road look like straight out of Arizona long & flat but a lot are rough & narrow with tight bends i.e. advisory signs telling you that 20mph is the safe limit on a bend on the main north-south "highway". The open road limit is 100kph -about 62mph.
Our gallon is no longer, it's now litres and they cost about $1.10 each for premium which is still "ping" special, allegedly 96 octane, if you want to figure it out our dollar is only worth about 47 to 48 US cents and a reasonable salary is anything above NZ $35,000. Cheers, the Scumdogl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts