V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just had it smoking for a while hot at stops....not at cold startup...was very hot here calfr. for a few wks....so i ruled out v-seals/vents good....ok rings are tired....so im prepping for a near future teardown....then after chkin plugs they are very normal/dry so im thinkin rings are stickin so i put m-mist oil in the plugs holes/oil 1st and then cycled it (no plugs)...then ran it... smoked like crazy and still the little smoke problem....so now i have been running mm oil in the gas now and the smoke is almost gone yaaa!...prob cause i run rotella and i dont hink itsa detergent oil and the rings were welding themselves to the piston grooves...but my hunch is paying off...i think

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,015 Posts
Yeah! I reckon.

Reactions: Uncle Salty

·
Registered
439 Posts
Run a compression check. Then add an oz or so of oil to each cylinder and check compression again. You'll know how well the rings are sealing if there's a huge difference.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i did that got 130 each w no oil...it has lotsta power so i thought wat goin on...i will do with oil if it keeps up the problem but its diminishing now...and prob way overdue(lotsa miles and stil kikin ass).anyway prob tear it down this winter id like to put some aftmkt pistons in it...bump one up...not 10 to 1 tho.... any suggestions.... now i got u gys on the line

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
How do you rule out valve stem seals? And what was the compression after you put a little oil in the combustion chamber?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it never smoked at any cold start ups and i didnt want a bunch of smoke 1st time at that point but will 2nd time around if needed...all in all i will prob tear it down this winter....u stayin out of the smoke up there?

·
Premium Member
2,022 Posts
No, the smoke is horrible. I forget what they call it, but it's bad, bad and very hazardous. People are getting cranky not just from the fire activity and loss of homes and businesses and the covid crap, but the smoke plays into that crankiness also. Haven't seen the true sun in a week, just this funky red/orange thing that sometimes appears.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Sky is clear in some of Northern California. Woke up to fog yesterday and today which is clearing up the sky’s pretty good. It’s also helping with the fires

·
Registered
439 Posts
Usually valve stem seals will present themselves as smoking on decel. Just like coming to a stop. Did the smoke go away after you took off?

·
Super Moderator
20,469 Posts
i just had it smoking for a while hot at stops....not at cold startup...was very hot here calfr. for a few wks....so i ruled out v-seals/vents good....ok rings are tired....so im prepping for a near future teardown....then after chkin plugs they are very normal/dry so im thinkin rings are stickin so i put m-mist oil in the plugs holes/oil 1st and then cycled it (no plugs)...then ran it... smoked like crazy and still the little smoke problem....so now i have been running mm oil in the gas now and the smoke is almost gone yaaa!...prob cause i run rotella and i dont hink itsa detergent oil and the rings were welding themselves to the piston grooves...but my hunch is paying off...i think
Based on what you have stated here, you need to take it to a shop and let them fix it.

·
not sober all the time
5,709 Posts
Yeah, it has been hot in louicana.....fr mnths,,,,,,,so ruled out my x....dogs are tired......im prepping for armigheddy...and chicken plugs..........thinkin wings are 2 hot.....i put vagi oil in holes....she smoked like crazy......well, you know the thing.

I'm glad something is paying off. (y)

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,015 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts