V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A little story:

Called my dealer last night, yep, always a mistake when you do this...anyways, to talk to them about a stage one on my 05 FXDi. After I install my pipes (Khrome Werks HP+) and my air cleaner (AN Big Sucker), I tell them that I basically have 4 choices for the EFI:
1. Dealer Flash
2. DFO of some sort
3. PC III USB
4. SERT

They agreed with me up to this point...first, they said about 8 out of every 10 people that do this kind of work, just get the flash and they are happy with it, so they say. Insert a BIG FREAKIN LAUGH HERE:hystria: Now wait, this is contrary to almost everything that I've heard here on VTF. I wonder if they can spell L-E-A-N?

Next, they say stay away from the PC III, almost everyone that they've sold one of these units to have had a hard time with them (getting their bikes tuned). I just sit there and scratch my noggin :nope: Again contrary to the posts on VTF.

So here's the final kicker...I pretty much have my mind set on purchasing a SERT from Zanotti's ($376.74 to my door), but the dealer doesn't know this...They say that it's not really worth the money to go this route, yeah it'll probably do what you want it to, but it REALLY expensive. SO, I ask about the warrantee, and they say as long as it's installed by an authorized dealer, I'll be fine. This is where I really start to scratch my head...THEY DONT EVEN HAVE A DYNO...why do they need to install this, why can't I do it myself when I do the pipes and the air cleaner.

Is it that difficult to install a SERT? I have a PC running windows 2000 that I can set up in my shop, and I'm sure with the help of Springer's notes on the SERT I can get the basic setup going and tinker with it until I can find a good tuner in my area.

To be honest, I'm not too sure how many more upgrades I'll be doing to the engine...but at least with the SERT I'll have the option.

Maybe I'll just be a lemur and go with the Dealer Flash to up their percentages and make it 9 out of 10...yeah right.

Thanks for Listening!

·
Knower of Stuff
1,978 Posts
Not having EFI I no very little about either except what I read.
That said, from your post, you will not be happy with the flash, will be looking to find issues with it, will have wasted your money and buy the SERT anyway to get it runnig right. Just Reading between the lines in you post.
Find a dealer that can Dyno it with the sert and do it right if the warranty is important to you. Also give you options in the future. Never enough power you know.

·
Hellbound Train
5,595 Posts
What they told you is true.
1. Dealer flash. Most people get the flash and are happy with it. Sure it is EPA so a little lean. You might leave a couple of HP on the table but most are happy with the increase they get and it will run fine. They wouldn't be selling it if it were harmfull to the warranty they are still honering.
2. DFO, Don't waste your money, for the cost of the flash and DFO, you can get the SERT.
3. PCIII, It's a good Plan "B" if you can't find a SERT tuner in your area. What they said is that most of the one "they" installed caused trouble. If they don't have a dyno, they are dropping canned maps. For a Stage 1, that will usually suffice.
4. SERT, Most dealers will honor the warranty if they install it. Let them do it and retune later if you aint happy or do more upgrades.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
If you have a laptop that will run the SERT software, there is no "install" per se. The SERT comes with a dongle and a cable to connect to a plug that it already on your bike. It also has a comprehensive manual and a number of "canned" maps that you can use as a starting point to program your ECM.
It is very simple, although a little daunting. You must follow the directions to the letter.
Tweaking maps is easy and there is plenty of experience on this board to assist you with getting it dialed in "by the seat of the pants". If you can find a person who knows how to use the SERT and has a dyno, you'll be even better off because you can eliminate much of the trial and error. However, you will have to pay extra for the dyno time.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Install of the SERT is pretty easy but extending on what Chuck said, there is a difference between whether you can install the SERT, and whether the dealer will honor your warranty if you do install the SERT.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I think due to the people who use, from this forum, either serts, dfos or PCs. people who have a stage 1 with dealer flash who are happy with are less prone to say yes i have it and am happy with it. that being said, I have a dealer flash and am happy with it. would my bike run more efficient with a sert or other fuel optimizer, yes it would. I have no plans on doing other upgrades to my bike and the extra power i gained from a stage 1 with a dealer flash works well for me. most likely flaming will follow, that's fine I can live with that.

Good luck and ride safe.

p.s. I installed pipes and AC myself went to dealer for flash. $130 for reflash.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
brownjams said:
I think due to the people who use, from this forum, either serts, dfos or PCs. people who have a stage 1 with dealer flash who are happy with are less prone to say yes i have it and am happy with it. that being said, I have a dealer flash and am happy with it. would my bike run more efficient with a sert or other fuel optimizer, yes it would. I have no plans on doing other upgrades to my bike and the extra power i gained from a stage 1 with a dealer flash works well for me. most likely flaming will follow, that's fine I can live with that.

Good luck and ride safe.

p.s. I installed pipes and AC myself went to dealer for flash. $130 for reflash.
Actually, the standard stage 1 flash is close enough for most bikes. Having the dealer do it pretty much negates any warranty concerns. As for SERT/DFO/PC, it really comes down to how much more you want to spend and how much time you want to take messing with it.
No flames from me...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone...I've got the cash (and the ok from the Wife) to just go ahead and bite the bullet and get the SERT...I'm sure I'll be a happy camper, besides, I'd rather be different from those eight other people.

·
OBSESSED
1,072 Posts
When a bought my bike they didn't have the sert. I had the stage one done and paid the 150 for the flash. I brought it back to the stealer because of decel popping. He tells me I have to get a pc to make the bike run right! I ask him that he recommended the stage one and the flash and it's gonna cost me another 300 to make the bike run right. I bought the pc installed it myself and downloaded a map myself, it was easy. still had a problem with decel pop called dyno jet and the tech told me to call him when the the bike was hooked up to the laptop. Called him and he led me thru every step. Great customer service and no my brother doesn't own the company. Bike runs strong and the dealer will never see my bike again. Better to buy the manual and work on the bike youself that way you know this will be done the right way and won't put you in the poor house.

Dave

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Install on the SERT, huh?? What install?? Please don't tell me the dealer is charging for installing a SERT, now!! What does he do, put the software disc into your CD-ROM for you?? Does it ever end???

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Dealer wants you to buy the SERT from them at their(MSRP) price. Then you will have to pay the dyno time to dial it in. Now if you can strike a deal with the dealer on the price of the SERT, and they are a good tuner, take it. If not, buy the SERT(at a discount), and take it, with your bike, to the best tuner in the area. You will probably save money(less dyno time). My H-D dealer told me if I buy the SERT from them, the warranty will still be voided for certain failures, like burnt pistons, burnt valves, or anything H-D can blame the failure on the SERT.
I haven't seen anyone complaining about any of these failures, but I see a whole lot of smiles from a good dyno tune with a SERT. :clap:

Thorns

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GRock said:
Install on the SERT, huh?? What install?? Please don't tell me the dealer is charging for installing a SERT, now!! What does he do, put the software disc into your CD-ROM for you?? Does it ever end???
I thought they were smoking something...my thoughts exactly.

·
ovanay elinquentday
2,021 Posts
Cdouthitt said:
I thought they were smoking something...my thoughts exactly.

The only issue I can see is that if your dealer "installs" it, they will likely load a standard map from the set and be conservative in any tweaks. They may be offering to do that and continue your warranty (get it in writing). That wouldn't be bad because, assuming you're worried about the warranty, you could then adjust the tuning as you need and should you have any warranty related problem after that, reload the dealer installed SERT map before you brought it back into them for repair. I would guess your dealer's point is, if you load the sert and tune it, you're on your own. More realistically, they just want the profit for the part and would likely find some excuse to void any engine related warranty claim once the SERT is installed. Personally, I just bought mine from Zanotti's.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I dont like messing with the onboards decisions so I installed a TFI/DFO on my RK nice power band and no decell pop,alond with that if I change anything else adjusting my settings is just as easy,no pc required and no canned anything needed,it adjusted for my seat of the pants feel and fuel milage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts