V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine just traded a 82 kz750 for a 78 goldwing that had been sitting in a garage for 10 years. Of course it had been left with fuel in it and so we had 4 carbs clogged with varnish. After cleaning said carbs it runs but not with the choke alll the way in plus we still have that varnish smell even after running a little turbo blue through it. Is there a recommended cleaner or additive for getting the gunk out?

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Carbs

How far did you take the carbs apart? If the bike won't run with the choke off, there is a fuel starvation issue (most likely)

Either the carbs aren't clean, a mistake was made upon reassembly or the fuel supply to the carb is restricted in some way. Needle valve set to specs?

The best way to get the gunk out is get the entire fuel system clean. Is the tank rusty? Is the fuel petcock clear? Is there an in line fuel filter? If you start the bike and it runs with choke only....problem is in the carb most likely.

You have to fully disassemble the carbs and soak them in a good carburetor cleaner for two days or more.

By good carb cleaner I mean the kind that comes in a 3 to 5 gallon pail with a sinkable parts tray.

After soaking and cleaning you must make sure all passages and "jets" are free of obstructions. Compressed air and a little oil tells all. Any plastic or rubber parts you forgot to remove will be melted.

The idle passages are often smaller and harder to clean out. I found out the hard way, on more occasions that I care to admit, that a short cut or an assumption about a passage being clear will bite you in the butt.

Check, clean, inspect every inch of that filthy little carb before reassembly.

Buy the new gaskets and o-ring set, Replace the float needles and seats
Make sure you have the floats in right and the float bowls right when you assemble.

If the tank has rust, I use a bunch of steel balls that came out of a silver tumbler.

Best of luck.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
The carbs were a problem with the older Wings if they sat for any lenght of time u were screwed. I rebuilt mine more times than I would like to have. I had a 76 . Best to get a complete kit and go from there.If just one carb is out u are 25% down .. 4 cyl 4 carbs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts