V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got my 74 FXE down to the frame and want to build it back up. I've never really done much motorcycle maintenance but have done lots of car and airplane type stuff.

What I need to know are the basic rebuilding sequence, good parts suppliers and any other information helpful for a first build.

I'll be taking my time with this so no hurry.

First question is what type of finish should I get on the frame?

I'm thinking of going all gray on the bike.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Powde coat the frame it lasts.For the engine use forged pistons.They cost more but the last set in the 74 shovel got 150000 miles on them.I run 10.5 to 1 in mine with sifton cam and solids.Some people dont like the noise but they run good and last.This bike has like 300000 miles on it.I have run the hell out of it since new and now my sons has it.Rocky

·
Registered
182 Posts
Just remember....take your time! There'll always be a few little things which seem to be a problem; but if you're going back with stock parts
the trouble is minimized. A good bike stand might also help.
1) powdercoat the frame
2) I'd start with the rear wheel, then front end;
just the wheels, tires, triple trees, forks and handlebars for now;
now you can move the project around.
3) I'd go for the tranny next, oil tank usually gets in the way for me,
so it comes a bit later. It's time to test fit if you're going with a different oil tank (they make a nice wrap-around for FX's). Also,
don't tighten down the tranny completely right now.

4) set the engine in, and don't forget to sand down to metal right where
the engine actually touches the frame (for ground, and the paint, etc.
will tend to crush when the motor is torqued down; do the bottom motor mounts first; then make sure the top mount is very flush and fit's well.

5) then it's drive train.........this can be a little tuff, if you've never been thru this before.....a manual helps. Also depends on the clutch you plan to use....I really like my very $$$ Rivera Engineering setup.

6) accessories and wiring time.

Do as much rebuilding/replacing of sub-assembly's now as possible........
like fork seals, brake calipers, etc.

Good luck.......good to see people keeping old iron out there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts