V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, it's been about three years since I been here, so forgive if I mess something up here....
Currently working on this '72 FX - Trans fluid oozing out left side of sprocket & running down back side of prim. case. Bike only has about 25K miles on it - redoing it for a neighbor. It was leaking before I redid the bike. But as I recall, something didn't seem just right when I replaced the seal. I had the trannny out & had a local shop verify no excess wear/play on mainshaft. Anyway, it was ok for the first couple of test runs, but it's now leaking again.
Any special tricks/idios/tips when replacing this seal?? Seems like it was a two-part, with one being some sort of a crush seal. Also even though I have both an H-D & Clymer manual, I still couldn't tell which way the seal lip was to be positioned so I did it like the old one - maybe that's why it's leaking again.
Any help here's appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
welcom to amf,,,generally lip seals face outward(the open side to the fluid) crush washer inside,,, some permatex on case may help ......ride hard cb

·
Banned
4,508 Posts
MDG Bushing

If I was to bet, I'd say the main drive gear bushing is shot, especially if it has never been attended to. You'll probably find more wrong if you go inside.
I don' know how many times we have repaired that area, in those gearboxes.
If the mainshaft is not worn too badly, it can be polished in order to save it, but the bushing needs to be sized, once installed. There is a dedicated dimension for those, and it is fairly close.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry, for delay getting back here, but I had some trouble getting signed back on.
Thanks very much for the replies/help here. Baggersport - that one website you referred is great (picture = 1K words).
Actually, I have my fingers crossed right now as the leak stopped after he put on a few more miles. No, it's not out of oil.
Take care....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts