V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm new to bikes. New to Harleys. I picked up a shovelhead 66 that was last on the road in about 2005. Ive driven it a bit around the block. engine runs strong. I'm having some blue smoke coming out of the front exhaust and the exhaust is a bit gummy. No smoke coming out of the back exhaust and pipe is bone dry. 1 thing is the previous owner filled it right to the top with oil. could this be the cause? I havent drained it yet.

And I haven't been able to find the oil filter...

IT is the bottom exhaust pipe at the front of the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
prob valve guides, is the front plug oil fouled?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Pretty as it is, I think that things on it's last leg and about to blow up but I'd be willing to take it off your plate man…:)JK

Only 2 ways oil can get into the combustion chamber, rings and guides. A leak down test will tell you which one it is.

Also, being new to bikes, know that a Shovel is a good motor, but takes time to unf*ck 45 years of monkeywrenching, and even when that's done, they're still a bit more maintenance and "hands on" than an evo or twinkie. Check these guys out…

http://shovelhead.us/forum/

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Yup I was thinking rings or guides, but being it is the front cylinder, I was betting Guides.
As you say compression test will tell better

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OKay, I will do a compression test this week at some point. What kind of compression should I be looking for across the two cylinders.

One point is that this bike has sat for a few being 5 or so years and the owner filled the oil right to the top. Could be experiencing what they call 'blow by'?

Could the seals be dried right out?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also I pulled the front plug out today and it was kind of gummed up. the rear plug was a bit fouled but dry as a popcorn fart.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OKay, I will do a compression test this week at some point. What kind of compression should I be looking for across the two cylinders.

One point is that this bike has sat for a few being 5 or so years and the owner filled the oil right to the top. Could be experiencing what they call 'blow by'?

Could the seals be dried right out?
Blow by is generally referred to as oil getting past the rings.
You generally want no more than a 10% variance between the 2 readings.

If you want to do a compression test you can, although it's a little different from a leakdown test.

Run the bike get it up to operating temp. Pull the plugs, put in your gauge, hold the throttle wide open and turn her over several times or less if the needle stops moving, do the same on the rear. Take down the readings.
Now repeat the test, but 1st squirt a little oil down into the cylinders through the spark plug hole. Try not to just slosh it in there, use some finesse. If your readings are significantly higher, then it's likely your rings, if they're the same then it's guides.

EDIT: Also, smoking while accelerating is usually a sign of bad rings. I forgot you said you were new to bikes, and should've asked when it was smoking. It's not as common as rings or guides, but once in awhile, you'll have a partially blown head gasket, which means that your head gasket around the oil return hole is compromised, but not enough to affect static compression. This isn't off the table for a bike sitting for 5 years. If your compression is good (min. 90+ psi in each cylinder), I'd pull the head and check the gasket.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
Sounds like you may need the leakdown test (assuming it is still smoking with clean plugs).

Anyhow, that actually looks like a "shovel-pan": shovel top with a pan bottom.

rkc

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like you may need the leakdown test (assuming it is still smoking with clean plugs).

Anyhow, that actually looks like a "shovel-pan": shovel top with a pan bottom.

rkc

Yep. 66 was the first year for the shovel they were still using the panhead bottom ends.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yep. 66 was the first year for the shovel they were still using the panhead bottom ends.
Yeah slabside Shovels '66 through '69….me likey.:)

I would do the test again and add oil this time. I just rebuilt my Shovel w/9.5-1 pistons and I have 155 psi cranking compression in the front and 160 on the rear. Like I said if compression gets significantly higher with the addition of oil then your rings are no good, or they didn't seat when the PO was breaking in the motor. When does it smoke?
If it is just your head gasket, no way to do anything about it except pull the head, and you'll know if it was leaking when you see it.
Check your head bolts, see if any of them are loose. Should be about 65 ft. pounds.

Edit: If it smokes on Idle or when coming of the throttle guides are more suspect especially when the smoke turns white, smoke on acceleration is most likely rings, but you have to get the bike up to operating temperature 1st. Take it more than around the block.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks again for your help guys. I guess we've only got 2 or 3 options here so it should be easy to fix her up. I've put her away for the winter so I've ogt lots of time to test and retest.

·
Registered
75 Posts
how much oil should I be dropping down into the cylinders?
about a table spoon

Also, if I have to change the head gasket out. Where can I find the torque sequence?
There's not a sequence like an evo, just tighten them in 15 lb. increments in a star or criss cross pattern up to 65 ft. pounds, and recheck and re-torque several times. Basically until you consistently get no movement out of them. Might be 500 miles, might be 1000.
The factory manual is your friend.

Thanks again for your help guys. I guess we've only got 2 or 3 options here so it should be easy to fix her up. I've put her away for the winter so I've ogt lots of time to test and retest.
I guess with a real winter, you'll have time to get to know her!
'66 is a sweet lady!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
there are 2 torque wrenches on sale here at canadian tire. one is a 3/8 drive and one is a 1/2 drive

which one?

·
Registered
75 Posts
there are 2 torque wrenches on sale here at canadian tire. one is a 3/8 drive and one is a 1/2 drive

which one?
I prefer a 3/8" drive but is it foot or inch lb.'s, or do you guys use the newton meters up there in maple leaf country? What range? For general purpose, I use 10-75 ft. lb.er

·
Super Moderator
20,903 Posts
Winter time is coming, just run it till the snow hits then pull the top end. That 110-120 result would be enough for me to feel the need to pull it down in the off season. Back when shovels were state of the art, we used to see a lot with over sized jugs. They got ringed a lot, and honed with each new set. It's best to re-ring with rings .010 over and then file them to the correct end gap. The heads are also an issue, the guides have to be close to spec, or they will foul the plugs. The fouling looks dry any fluffy at first, only going wet after the plug starts to misfire. We carried spare plugs back in the day. Swapped them as needed and cleaned them with little spark plug sand blasters. It was not uncommon for the plug threads to be worn out in the heads.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Where would you all recommend ordering the piston rings, valve guides and a head gasket from? If I'm gonna do one I might as well do them all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts