V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading mnv-rod's advice regarding the Sundowner seat I went out and bought one and put 600 miles on it over the last 4 days.
The seat is so much more comfortable than the stock seat it's unbelievable. I had absolutely no problem with a sore butt. The seats also looks good on the bike. I actually left the stock passenger pillion on since I was travelling solo and while the two didn't line up exactly I think it still looked good. And at $289 it's better than the $370 that Corbin wants for the Hollywood Solo or over $500 for the ugly Corbin Tour seat.

Thanks for the advice and pics mnv-rod.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I too, after reading the post by mnv-rod, went by and looked at the Sundowner seat, this weekend. It does seem to have more padding and appears to fit under the back rest pad too. So it looks like, in the not to distant future, a new seat will be in order for me too. Thanks to all of you for your product review information, before I read this I was going to purchase a Corbin seat, didn't know the MoCo could make a good seat.

Thanks to all of you for your input, it was extremely valuable.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
10 Posts
VA V-Rod said:
I too, after reading the post by mnv-rod, went by and looked at the Sundowner seat, this weekend. It does seem to have more padding and appears to fit under the back rest pad too. So it looks like, in the not to distant future, a new seat will be in order for me too. Thanks to all of you for your product review information, before I read this I was going to purchase a Corbin seat, didn't know the MoCo could make a good seat.

Thanks to all of you for your input, it was extremely valuable.

Thanks again,
Personally I think the Corbin seats are terrible ugly on the V-Rod. I got the Sundowner hoping that it would be as comfortable as it looks, and it sure was. I put the Sundowner on a few days after I got the bike. One of the best accessories I've gotten. I think it is well worth the money, especially if you will be riding a passenger (which I do a lot).

Have fun
Ride Safe
Bill

·
Registered
147 Posts
I agree with you about the Sundowner seat. My seat came in, I put it on and rode 150 miles yesterday. I did not know what I was missing, much more confortable. The true test will be how my wife likes it the next time we ride together.

As far as investing in a Corbin, I understand that it takes quite a few miles to break it in. They make a fine seat.

·
Registered
70 Posts
wishbone said:
I am planing a trip out west in the fall, about 4000 miles round trip. You think it's worth investing in a Corbin seat?
I think the Sundowner would be fine for that.

Are you hitting the interstate with that solid front wheel? I sure get alot of headshake behind semis with that thing...

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mnv-rod
I just did quite a few miles and agree that you do get a little wobble behind a semi but I tend to just drop back a bit especially if I'm in no hurry. Anyway it's a minor inconvenience that you get on any bike. It's not enough to worry about.
Really like the Sundowner seat though.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I too succumbed and bought the sundowner seat today, wasnt sure if I liked the styling right away but after riding all day today i can say I really enjoy the seat. The biggest difference in comfort for me is with the way the back of the seat is it really helps support your lower back and keeps you in a better riding position without pulling your muscles.

As for the shake, well to be honest I havent really noticed anymore shake on the Vrod behind semi's then I did on my honda magna, maybe a little more but really not much difference. I was on 696 friday, it was overcast threatening to rain with a mild wind and doing between 80 and 100 mph the whole time, and never mind hanging back from the semi, with this bike I just gotta kick it up and pass em.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've been blasted by trucks and been in 60mph crosswinds on my FZ-1 that had me hanging on for dear life as the top of the bike leans into the draft, but I've only experienced the wobble on the V-Rod. I understand the Fatboy experiences the same thing, but I understand its more pronounced with the V-Rod's wheel geometry.

Guess I'll be looking for an aftermarket wheel deal over the Winter! ;)

Glad to hear so many enthusiastic responses on the Sundowner. I got a follow up call from HD last week. They certainly seemed interested in competing with Corbin.

·
Registered
22,086 Posts
Damn is that Unanimous!? Spend 20 grand on a bike and you can't find ONE person who can live with the stock seat? Nice trick,- "oh by the way you better order another 3-400 bucks worth of seat if you plan on actually riding the damn thing."

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DJW,
I agree with you - it's absolute BS that they sell you a bike with a seat you can't use. Additionally they give you mufflers that have to changed immediately (IMHO), foot pegs that look like they belong on a kids tricycle and adjustable shocks without the tool to adjust them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
seat

ALL TRUE! Glad everyone likes the sundowner. I couldn't wait for h-d
to make a better seat, so I got a corbin solo. It looks like both seats are very much alike. Both are a big improvement.
ride safe
vrodtom

·
Registered
906 Posts
It's never a good sign when they design the aftermarket add-ons as the bike is being designed -all by the same company. They have NO incentive to add any more chrome or quality parts...they know we will buy it even after getting bent over by the $tealership. :mad:

Like alot of you I sepnt some good money on that Screamin Eagle package they touted, and it SUCKED A$$!!! Now I'm gonna spend another grand to do the Dynojet thing...if I spend anymore money I'll be living in a cardboard box behind the mall! :eek:

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yea but you'll have a nice bike in front of your box, heck find a box big enough for your bike you can sleep outside.

I am truly seriously when I say that is another big reason I went with the V-Rod, less than 10 pages of accessories in the Accessories Catalog, DWG had like 50 plus the multi-fits. They are getting more stuff for the V-Rod but still no where near what they have for the other models.

I even considered building one, Patrick engine, 6-speed trans, sprung rear suspension, but then I heard of how hard it was to get insured and licensed I figured it wasn't worth it plus with everything I wanted it would still have been as expensive as a new H-D and home built’s don't seem to keep their valve near as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree that the stock seat is unacceptable, however for my money you can't beat Corbin, I have the dual tour with backrests and they look fine to me. just my .02.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts