V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, I picked up my '02 Ultra (bought it Nov 2) after the 1,000 mile break in oil change. (No more varying the speed up and down, and I can finally use the cruise:D )

Called this morning to see what oil they put in ... they run 20w50 for the breakin and then switch to 60 weight for the heat of South Florida.

What do y'all think of 60 weight Harley oil?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess no news is good news ...

I was just curious since my '00 Ultra always had 20w50 put in it by the Ft. Myers Harley dealer on the other coast.

·
Just bad
698 Posts
Probably a case of "yet another oil thread". Try the search and you ought to find tons of oil discussions.

Considering your location it probably doesn't matter. Personally, I would prefer the flow characteristics of 20w-50 on my cold engine, even if "cold" is mid-60s worse case. If you're worried about high temps use a synthetic.

Oh crap... now I just started "yet another synthetic oil thread" DOH!

:)

·
Registered
4,089 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
First time I've heard of a dealer doing this - mostly they follow the MOCO's recommendation and use 20W-50.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
Owner's manual used to recommend using 60 WT for temps above ?? (I forget which). There are some guys in this area that run 60 wt in the summer but I've never done it. Doubt it would hurt anything in Florida heat.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I started doing the same too, after the last two years going to Sturgis.
After running in the heat the 20-50 wont hold oil pressure worth a damb, but the 60w will hold some, not as much as I'd like but at least the light stays off and the lifters are quiet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in florida and it has been a very hot summer my o2 fatboy runs great on 20-50 get to heavy lifters won't work proper

·
Registered
150 Posts
See the Harley manual it will guide you on when to use 60 weight. I used it this summer and it helped. Im probably going with an oil cooler this year.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
SIDEKICK said:
60 weight is recommended above 80, 50 weight above 60 to 80 degrees, 20w50 is for all temps.
That's it, Sidekick. If I remember correctly, the owners manual has stated that for years and years and years.

·
Registered
182 Posts
For the EVO's and TC's not too sure, but down there you should be OK;
I run 60 in the Shovel almost year round, cept in the hottest part of the summer and I run 70. You determine some of this by "guestimating" the average winter temp there.......if it's seldom under 60 degrees, go with the 60.....charts are available to show you when the multiple viscosity "w" number kicks in.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Maybe it would "help" if you run the piss out of it constantly. That might make it run hotter and justify 60 weight oil LOL?? Good excuse anyway.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Just changed to Amsoil, have a 1550 Roadglide that was going over 230 in the summer. Sometimes ran 250+ in 90 degree. All I can tell you is WOW, dropped 15 to 20 degrees motor sounds and runs great. I was really skeptical about this, heard all the bad stuff from the people that didnt use it. Not an easy move I useally go by the book. Good luck

·
Registered
61 Posts
have you all seen on the factory web site that HD now makes a SE synthetic oil 20/50 !!! I just started using mobil 1 15/50 .

1 - 19 of 19 Posts