V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the boards opinion of available 6 speed transmissions?
I am considering adding one to my 02 RKC but unsure of the difference in Baker, Jims or , RevTech. RevTech appears to be significantly less $$ than the other two.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The Baker and the Jims are basically the same thing, designed by Baker and manufactured by Jims. Very good quality.

The RevTech is manufactured offshore and in the past has had some recall issues.

IMHO in some applications they are great, but they work best with very strong engines and not so well with near stock engines. Their main drawback is that the direct drive gear is still 5th gear, ie there are significantly more mechanical losses when in 6th.

It really comes down to what you want to do, but keep in mind EFI TC's like revs, much more so then the carb versions, and they can cruise at 4K all week long.

·
Registered
132 Posts
HIPPO said:
, but keep in mind EFI TC's like revs, much more so then the carb versions, and they can cruise at 4K all week long. [/i]
You know I found it interesting that the EFI models have a different sprocket ratio - on my carb'd FLHT I cruise at 70mph and 3k rpm, my buddy's Road Glide Fi 70 mph is 3200 rpm, we finally traced it to a different ratio.

Why would they do that - do the Fi motors have less torque and need the extra rpm's to reach the same speed?

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Well, it has been debated for a long time now and all there is are theories. I'm very pragmatic and make my mind up based on verifiable data and my own experiences with the bikes.

Since they use the EFI on the Ultra, and the identical bike is more expensive with EFI then without it could be considered the flagship if you wish, it simply wouldn't do for it to be very obviously outperformed by a less expensive bike.

As long as we dealt with the Marelli system the EFI bikes, stock against stock they would barely keep up with a carb bike despite the lower gearing and the different cams.
The Delphi system is much better performing then the Marelli and above a certain rpm is probably equivalent or slightly better then a carbed bike absolutely stock again with the gearing and cam advantage.
They much rather sell you an EFI bike because in the long run it forces more owners into dealers service departments, and this signifies a revenue increase to them.

Life in the big city, they are not in the business of buiding motorcycles, they are in the business of making money. Nothing wrong with that, just the way it goes. The only miscalculation IMHO is that in their attempts to lock out the aftermarket they unintentionally also exceeded the capabilities of a large percentage of the type of tech they on average have working at dealers, even assuming dealers would play within the spirit of the rules despite a monopolistic advantage. It is only human nature that in a commision based system dealer personel will bend the rules to their financial advantage. No point bitching about it, just the way it goes, and when you have a problem you work your own deal. The only thing that becomes grating is the "welcome to the family" song and dance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts