V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Ultra, 16,000+ miles, all stock, am thinking of putting a 6 speed
trans before heading from Ct to Sturgis & Ct to upstate N.Y., etc. has
anybody done this (want to stick with the H.D. trans). Have you noticed any increase in gas mileage, engine temp, can you pass a car in 6th? Its a
bunch of $ and dont want it to be a waste.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Cant say I have ridden a bike with the six speed. With that said after 100,000 miles riding a five speed there is no way I could justify spending the money to get a six speed (assuming the trans is in working order on the bike in question). Bike works just fine with five speeds.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Again I gotta ask, why would anyone want a 6 speed? Stock Harleys have enough torque to skip 2nd and 4th gear as it is. Why would I want to shift gears 20% more often?

OK, I know that supposedly the idea is that by adding an overdrive 6th gear, you get lower rpms, and therefore less wear, less vibration, and better gas mileage. I call bullshit on that idea. Why? Because by that logic, your ideal rpms at highway speed would be idle, right? I mean if lower rpms is the goal, why not have an overdrive ratio where you could run 60mph at 1000rpms? Wouldn't work would it?

Has anyone done any real testing to confirm that the 6th gear overdrive really does place the motor in a better part of the powerband? And if it does, wouldn't a better solution be to put a smaller pulley on the rear wheel? Duh!

Yeah, maybe the 6speed is slicker shifting and quieter too, but if I'm shifting more often, it kinda negates that benefit doesn't it? Come on people, use your heads. Twenty-eight hundred bucks? For what?

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Oh I don't know I'd like to have one but for the price of HD/Jims/baker.......just can't afford to spend that kind of cash on 1 part. If say Dilligaffer (which that name is familar from somewhere) buys one and hates it and then askes me if I want it for 1/2 of what he paid for it then yes I am buying it. Hint Hint....I could really see where a hard core iron butt rider would find it a benefit or for the guy or gal who has everything else. Last but not least the guy who just has to have it because its his cash and his bike.

Let me know Dilligaffer if you decide you hate it....:whistle:

·
Registered
90 Posts
capn_buzzcut said:
Again I gotta ask, why would anyone want a 6 speed? Stock Harleys have enough torque to skip 2nd and 4th gear as it is. Why would I want to shift gears 20% more often?

OK, I know that supposedly the idea is that by adding an overdrive 6th gear, you get lower rpms, and therefore less wear, less vibration, and better gas mileage. I call bullshit on that idea. Why? Because by that logic, your ideal rpms at highway speed would be idle, right? I mean if lower rpms is the goal, why not have an overdrive ratio where you could run 60mph at 1000rpms? Wouldn't work would it?

Has anyone done any real testing to confirm that the 6th gear overdrive really does place the motor in a better part of the powerband? And if it does, wouldn't a better solution be to put a smaller pulley on the rear wheel? Duh!

Yeah, maybe the 6speed is slicker shifting and quieter too, but if I'm shifting more often, it kinda negates that benefit doesn't it? Come on people, use your heads. Twenty-eight hundred bucks? For what?
Hmmm, two bikes here, 80+ ftp/ 95hp '96 RK w/RevTec OD 6 and 112 fpt/95hp '01 Ultra w/Baker DD6. (You do need more power to push/take advantage of 6th gear.)

For what? 85 mph @ 2800 rpm, all day. Never have to shift the Ultra from 75 mph up.
Works for me.

TC

·
The Best Me I Can Be
22,853 Posts
Terry C said:
Hmmm, two bikes here, 80+ ftp/ 95hp '96 RK w/RevTec OD 6 and 112 fpt/95hp '01 Ultra w/Baker DD6. (You do need more power to push/take advantage of 6th gear.)

For what? 85 mph @ 2800 rpm, all day. Never have to shift the Ultra from 75 mph up.
Works for me.

TC
So let me see if I get your drift here. Are you trying to say that your real world experience trumps that disjointed ramble of a rant? (No offense there, C.B.)

Joe

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm not sure what part of the world I can ride 85mph all day long, but sign me up. I did probably average 80mph in many areas coming back from Daytona to NC though, on my stock RKC, but that was just for about 10 hours. Don't know what my rpms were, but I didn't shift much either. Never felt like I needed another gear.

OK, so it was a rant. Every time the weather turns too bad to ride, I wander in here and make an ass of myself. It's my way of coping. I feel better now.

·
Registered
779 Posts
has anybody done this (want to stick with the H.D. trans)
Yes. But my engine is not stock. Mild build: 95" 203 cams, S/E heads Rineharts and S/E air cleaner.

"Have you noticed any increase in gas mileage" No.

"engine temp" No.

"can you pass a car in 6th?" Yes, if you have lots of room to pass.

"Its a bunch of $ and dont want it to be a waste." Kuryakyn paid for mine after one of their insty-check dipsticks came unglued and lunched my stock 5-speed.

It will give you about 400+/- RPM at 70-80 mph. I honestly don't think a stock motor will pull 6th gear. I'm making about 85 HP(est), and while 6th is nice cruising at 80, I would spend the money elsewhere if it's all I had to spend on the drivetrain...

Just my .02
Dan

·
Registered
217 Posts
Well I can;t run 80 without getting in trouble so I will keep my 5 speed. I don't understand all the buzz about a six either. A guy I know just bought a new Dyna Lowrider. First thing he says is "its got a six speed and I can run 80mph all day long". I told him not without a windshield he won't unless he wants to be beat up by the wind real bad. Anyway one things for sure,every person can do thier own thing and it does not bother me at all. If want six go for it and I hope you love it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Dan Smith said:
Well I can;t run 80 without getting in trouble so I will keep my 5 speed. I don't understand all the buzz about a six either. A guy I know just bought a new Dyna Lowrider. First thing he says is "its got a six speed and I can run 80mph all day long". I told him not without a windshield he won't unless he wants to be beat up by the wind real bad. Anyway one things for sure,every person can do thier own thing and it does not bother me at all. If want six go for it and I hope you love it.
I think (I could be wrong, it happes more than I like to admit) that the Dyna six speeds are different from the S/E or Baker units.

I belive the Dyna's just give you closer ratios, with 6th still being 1:1 The aftermarket units, be it HD, Baker, Revtech or whoever keep 1 through 5 pretty much at the stock ratios, with 6th being overdrive at .86:1 or there about...

·
Registered
460 Posts
ZR1Dan said:
I think (I could be wrong, it happes more than I like to admit) that the Dyna six speeds are different from the S/E or Baker units.

I belive the Dyna's just give you closer ratios, with 6th still being 1:1 The aftermarket units, be it HD, Baker, Revtech or whoever keep 1 through 5 pretty much at the stock ratios, with 6th being overdrive at .86:1 or there about...
If HD is in fact using 34/46 primary ratio combination and stock 32/70 secondary ratio with there DD6 tranny, then they like Baker are overdriving the primary to create an effective overdrive 6th gear final drive ratio with the HD DD6 having and overall final drive ratio of around 2.96 vs 5 speed's 3.15.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The four speed transmissions were just fine with me. Don't see any need for more than a 5 speed.

I had wanted an Ultra for some years. When the MOCO made all the '06 Dyna bikes with 6-speed trans -- I went ahead and got the Ultra before HD and the EPA screw them up beyond recognition. Almost too late -- Wish I'd got an '05.

JMHO

·
Registered
90 Posts
ZR1Dan said:

Well, your partially right. :cheers:

The RevTec came with .86:1, I changed my compensating sprocket (24 tooth to 28) to end up with approx. .94:1.

The Baker DD6 comes in at 1;1 with their own compensating sprocket you need to install.
http://www.bakerdrivetrain.com/dialup/dd6/index.html

TC

·
Registered
62 Posts
6 Speed

I have the SE 6 speed on my 04 Road Glide. I commute mostly freeway daily. My gas mileage increased to the point that I can go about 180 miles before the fuel light comes on and this is going an average of 75 MPH. Still has passing power when up in those speed ranges, but anything below 70 you need 5th for passing. At 80 MPH, your taching at the same as someone going about 70. Also have 95" motor.

Don't know the long term tests as far as engine life etc, but on the long ride I'd recommend it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
turbotc said:
If HD is in fact using 34/46 primary ratio combination and stock 32/70 secondary ratio with there DD6 tranny, then they like Baker are overdriving the primary to create an effective overdrive 6th gear final drive ratio with the HD DD6 having and overall final drive ratio of around 2.96 vs 5 speed's 3.15.

This is the way I understand it, too. They changed the primary ratio a little, 6th is still 1:1 on the Dyna's. RPMs at cruising speeds in top gear are reduced somewhat, due to the slightly over-driven primary ratio. No grunt lost at the bottom because the 6 speed is geared a little steeper in the lower gears, than the 5 speeds.

·
Registered
450 Posts
FWIW: I put the HD "trap door" in my 06 Street Glide and I am pleased especially with the gas prices going up again.

Here's the spec's on it:
Par # 33102-03A SIX SPEED TRANSMISSION SUPER KIT
Cost: $1,999 plus installation cost.

FIRST GEAR: 5 speed 3.210 SE 6 speed 3.210
SECOND GEAR: 5 Speed 2.209 SE SE 6 Speed: 2.209
THIRD GEAR: 5 Speed 1.572 SE 6 Speed: 1.572
FOURTH GEAR: 5 Speed 1.226 SE 6 Speed 1.226
FIFTH GEAR: 5 Speed 1.000 SE 6 Speed 1.000
SIXTH GEAR: 5 Speed N/A SE 6 Speed 0.885

Regards

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I got a reason. The TC sucks. My FRONT cam bearing went at 16000 miles of highway touring, in about 8 months from purchase. Which is of course at about 3k-3.5k rpm or the "meat" of this crappy power band. That was an 04, years after the rear problem surfaced. Way too fast fro this POS design. Its time for harley to step up and change, or at least give us tourers the 6 speed

And dont start, i am harley loyal and in fact just replaced it with an 06, and still have my antiques

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Back to the question:
A stock Ultra loaded for a road trip 2 up with an OD six speed will not be fun to ride in highest gear. It simply doesn't have enough tq at 70-80 mph

Stock 70 [email protected] 2960 rpm, [email protected] rpm
OD 6 (.087) 70 [email protected] 2550 rpm, [email protected] rpm

It would make some sense to combine an OD six with the shorter primary gearing at the expesne of more shifting.
I had the Baker OD on a 95 c.i. that pushed 100 lbft and six gear came in handy above 80 mph.

·
Registered
43 Posts
6 speed

I had the 6 speed put in my 05 FLHT. The stock bike wouldn't like 6th until about 65mph. It was a dog on acceleration. I put in the 95BB and everything changed. This is a great option with the big motor. 75 mph and turning 2600rpm, just off the pipes, very nice! These bikes should come stock this way!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts