V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '01 Fatboy that I dearly love. The engine is fairly well upgraded from it's original factory state. 95 CID, RedShift gear cams, High flow Heads at 9.5/1 comp ratio, D&D 2-into-1, HSR42 carb, Twin Tec igniton, lightened valve train, and probably a few more things I've forgotten. Last time on a dyno I was over 3 digits on both HP and Torque. I did this work about 10 years and 50K miles ago, but owing to some GREAT products from Zippers Performance the engine is as strong today as it was when I built it.......or so I believe. A dyno run today might show some deterioration.....but I doubt too much.

Anyway, my point was not to pat myself on the back for the engine, but rather to communicate that I'm not dealing with a 'stock' mill. I ride this bike long and hard, and have obviously put a lot of road miles on it. Throughout all this I've found myself reaching for a 6th gear more times than I can count. Up to now I never really considered the change to a 6 speed tranny. But, I'm now able to actually make that happen if I choose to. I guess I'm wondering what the current thoughts are on 'brands', or available kits? I think Baker offers a gear kit for about $2400, where as Ultima offers essentially the same thing for about $600. The Ultima kit has a disclaimer about their trap door plate being thicker so any mounts attached may need to be modified. As I don't think I have any, that may not be a problem.

I guess there are others out there.....and that's what I'm attempting to find out here. I actually have a friend running the Ultima kit in his '03 Road King. He's put about 20K on it and it's not failed him in any way. He did indicated his 6th gear had a bit of a 'whine' initially, but he indicates he no longer hears this, and as such, he doesn't know if he just got used to it or it actually went away. In either case, the unit itself is running well. So, on a 'bang for the buck' basis, I guess that unit isn't all bad. I do note that the Ultima unit has a bit of a higher 1st gear.....something like a 2.94 whereas the Baker has what they claim to be an 'original' 1st gear ratio of 3.24. I can't find specs on the 2 - 5 gear ratios on the Baker, but I'd guess that 5th is the stock 1/1, and both Ultima and Baker claim to be 'over-drive' units, with the Ultima posting a 0.88 / 1 OD ratio.....and I'd guess the Baker is in the same area.

So.....if anyone has any words of wisdom, advice, good/bad experience, or 'other suggestions'.....I'd love to hear it. At this point it's not really about trying to do the 6-speed for under $1K, but I'm not looking to drop $4K if I don't have to. Options: Hope to find a few more!

Many thanks,

Tom D.

·
Tony Kebhart
194 Posts
I had 99 Road King that I Put an Ultima 6 speed gear set in. Trap door was thicker but did not pose a problem for me. It ran great..pulled well and shift easy and crisp. The only thing I remember that was inconvenient is I had to get a different Neutral switch is it needed to operate opposite of a stock Harley switch.

But loved the Ultima kit overall.

·
Registered
8,774 Posts
I prefer baker components,,,, with the a sian kits and transmissions,,, there is a 50/50 chance of problems,,,, some oem and baker parts interchange, many do not,,, if you've ever had a baker, and Asian apart, and cannot see the differences,,, I feel for you

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
I am running the Ultima and I haven't had any issues as far a failures since I put it in but I get a whine letting off in 4th gear and noticable backlash. I didnt want to fork over the money for a Baker but if I had it to do again I probably would. I only have a few k on it now but I hate the feeling that I can't trust it. I also hate the idea of pulling this apart again

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Baker is top notch but pricey yes. That said you're getting all andrews shafts and gears. It'll handle twice the power you're gonna throw at it. 6 speed overdrive is cool if your doing allot of highway miles at higher then posted speed. If you're not doing allot of highway riding and you like beating on your bike the five speed in my opinion is just fine and under hard accelerating and slamming gears I'd prefer it. Allot of people think six speed is great but lugging a motor is not good for either 1800-2200 is not healthy long term. A stroked motor likes it even less. 2500-2700 is about the lowest I'd cruise under load at. These motors have no issues just singing along at 3000-3500 they'll vibrate less as well and be more responsive to accelerating from there.

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
In my case with the balanced motor rpm topping out at 6200 rpm I was hitting that wall very quickly with the mods on my bike, seemed like I was leaving a lot on the table. But you are correct, you would have to be doing at least 65mph to even use 6th gear in an OD transmission.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have an '01 Fatboy that I dearly love. The engine is fairly well upgraded from it's original factory state. 95 CID, RedShift gear cams, High flow Heads at 9.5/1 comp ratio, D&D 2-into-1, HSR42 carb, Twin Tec igniton, lightened valve train, and probably a few more things I've forgotten. Last time on a dyno I was over 3 digits on both HP and Torque. I did this work about 10 years and 50K miles ago, but owing to some GREAT products from Zippers Performance the engine is as strong today as it was when I built it.......or so I believe. A dyno run today might show some deterioration.....but I doubt too much.

Anyway, my point was not to pat myself on the back for the engine, but rather to communicate that I'm not dealing with a 'stock' mill. I ride this bike long and hard, and have obviously put a lot of road miles on it. Throughout all this I've found myself reaching for a 6th gear more times than I can count. Up to now I never really considered the change to a 6 speed tranny. But, I'm now able to actually make that happen if I choose to. I guess I'm wondering what the current thoughts are on 'brands', or available kits? I think Baker offers a gear kit for about $2400, where as Ultima offers essentially the same thing for about $600. The Ultima kit has a disclaimer about their trap door plate being thicker so any mounts attached may need to be modified. As I don't think I have any, that may not be a problem.

I guess there are others out there.....and that's what I'm attempting to find out here. I actually have a friend running the Ultima kit in his '03 Road King. He's put about 20K on it and it's not failed him in any way. He did indicated his 6th gear had a bit of a 'whine' initially, but he indicates he no longer hears this, and as such, he doesn't know if he just got used to it or it actually went away. In either case, the unit itself is running well. So, on a 'bang for the buck' basis, I guess that unit isn't all bad. I do note that the Ultima unit has a bit of a higher 1st gear.....something like a 2.94 whereas the Baker has what they claim to be an 'original' 1st gear ratio of 3.24. I can't find specs on the 2 - 5 gear ratios on the Baker, but I'd guess that 5th is the stock 1/1, and both Ultima and Baker claim to be 'over-drive' units, with the Ultima posting a 0.88 / 1 OD ratio.....and I'd guess the Baker is in the same area.

So.....if anyone has any words of wisdom, advice, good/bad experience, or 'other suggestions'.....I'd love to hear it. At this point it's not really about trying to do the 6-speed for under $1K, but I'm not looking to drop $4K if I don't have to. Options: Hope to find a few more!

Many thanks,

Tom D.

FYI - Baker offers the OD6 and DD6 gear sets for your bike. They are very different from each other. I wont try and wow you with my knowledge, but will point you to the Baker website where they very clearly lay out the differences between the two. They also call out the ratios for each gears for both of these gear sets. Look around, its all there.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Seems like there was a discussion on here a while back where someone suggested if you use an Ultima you can buy some Baker parts to mix in that make it alot more reliable??

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I have thought a OD on my 06 soft tail would be nice also... Too used to the modern car transmissions today.. I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off to wait for an 07 or newer "great deal" bike to pop up for sale and just keep the 06 as is?? LOTS of HD's for sale and just sitting out there

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
In my case with the balanced motor rpm topping out at 6200 rpm I was hitting that wall very quickly with the mods on my bike, seemed like I was leaving a lot on the table. But you are correct, you would have to be doing at least 65mph to even use 6th gear in an OD transmission.

Yep my rev limiter is set to 6500 on my 124" but my optimal shift point being around 6200 according to the Dyno numbers. I'd have to shift too fast with a six that's why the five is better for higher hp motors. Plus a six speed has thinner gears to fit them all in there. The five speed will get me well over 100mph with no issues. Never saw the need for a six speed. That said I'm not going long distance on my bike. More of a short to mid range at best.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
I have thought a OD on my 06 soft tail would be nice also... Too used to the modern car transmissions today.. I have come to the conclusion that I would be better off to wait for an 07 or newer "great deal" bike to pop up for sale and just keep the 06 as is?? LOTS of HD's for sale and just sitting out there
Yes you are correct. There are some crazy deals all over on bikes. With the big work shutdowns all over the country sadly there will be many more who can't keep up payments soon. There will be used bikes filling the dealerships and online. This situation is gonna be rough on many for sure

1 - 11 of 11 Posts