V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
Think we all have now and then .. Pretty Happy with my 5 Speed as long as it's solid and reliable ..
For FXR's, the 5 sp is sufficient. When you start putting long miles at higher speeds, the 6 sp is awesome.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I would definitely stick with the five speed. That motor will rip through five gears in seconds. Adding another gear is gonna make it hard to shift that fast. I think i would pass. Sell your parts and keep the cash for tires... Lol

·
Registered
601 Posts
In my experience- hear me out
My fxr has a 111" S&S in it
And mind you, I don't know what the gear ratio of the OD6 is
But I literally have to be riding 90 to utilize 6th gear. Otherwise I am in the 2800-3200 RPM range
The "range" between each gear seems the same as the 5 speed that was in before it
How often do you find yourself saying "I wish I could shift into 6th?"

·
Registered
17,486 Posts
How often do you find yourself saying "I wish I could shift into 6th?"
Occasionally I find another gear would be useful.

Once I change out my primary gearing to get a 3.16:1 I may not feel that way.

Sent from my 2 Tin Cans With A String using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here in CA the “cruising” speed on the freeway is 80 so 85-90 is regular day riding. Plus running down to LA, AZ or over the Reno or up to Seattle is often so having the 6 gear would be very nice.

Race this gearing is an OD unity 0.86 sixth gear.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Here in CA the “cruising” speed on the freeway is 80 so 85-90 is regular day riding. Plus running down to LA, AZ or over the Reno or up to Seattle is often so having the 6 gear would be very nice.

Race this gearing is an OD unity 0.86 sixth gear.
Should do exactly wwhat you wanna do then..
I would ride 100 miles of Gravel road before I ride One mile of E-Way... so... Not a thing for me...I see plenty of "highway" for Work... not going near it on my own time...^rolleyez^

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have a 1990fxr and use the ultima6. Runs and rides great never an issue for 10kmiles. Also it is teamed with a 107 s&s

Sent from my LGL63BL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
depending on which gear ratio set your 6 speed has,,, determines the differences..

an O.D. 6 speed,, will have a .86 or .80 6th gear,,, 1st gear can be 3:24 or 2:94,, the other 4 gears are the same ratio as the harley gearset.

a plain 6 speed,, depending on the manufacturer,, can have any combination of gear rztioz,,, many having 6th as a 1-1,,, these gearsets,, just add another short, to arrive at the same point in 6th as you had in 5th before..

ultima transmissions are hit or miss as rare as quality is concerned.. as mentioned already clearancing my be necessary,, as the shift forks are thick on the shaft end,,, due to them being cast... on mny ultima trans Baker shift forks and drum may be exchanged for the ultima set,, as well as the shift shaft with stops built in... this fight and up the very long throws of the ultima shift mechanism. some have shifts so long it feels like you went back to a pancake top 4 speed...

I dont use ultima transmissions... they may be ok on a stock engine,, but add some power,, and problems may arise,,,

I've worked on enough ultima transmissions to have formed this opinion,,, I see what looks like casting flash on the flat edges of some if not all of the gears,,, I wondered how they could be made of 8620,, and my conclusion was,, that scrap and machining droppings were re-melted then cast,, to decrease materials costs,,, this would be considerably less expensive than buying bar stock 8620,,,, can't prove it,, but???

Baker gears and shafts are cut from 8620,,(by andrews), and look perfect,,
it would seem ignorant to me to spend more on the shift mechanism than the transmission cost.. I would save up for a Baker kit, and be done with trans issues forever..

i
I beg to differ on your pinion on Ultima I have a hotrod 90fxr with a 107 s&s with the 6Ultima ad never an issue. Unless going to a wider swingarm and chain final for a 200 tire is a problem

·
Registered
5,739 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Race I hear ya. Around here you gotta ride to get to the canyons and backroads which is mostly on freeways. Then long distance trips it’s nice to have. I’m going to do it and plan to get a baker in a year or so.

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
misterfred,differ all you like,,, no problem....my point is that the quality is all over the board,, inconsistent is my observations the only ones i see are ones with problems... not all have the same problems... then getting replacement parts is problematic... sometimes Harley or Baker parts can be substituted if the mechanic knows what he is looking at...
ultima trannies are a crap shoot

so,yeah it.will last a while,, behind any engine but it will break at some point,,, the 5 speed is a copy of harleys trans,,the 6 speed is a copy of the eaarly baker trans... the gears anshafts appear to be cast,, whereas bakers are machined from bar stock...

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
No doubt that Baker is a top notch transmission, I just can't put that kind of money up even with their backing of their product. I have heard good and bad about Ultima, some legitimate some of it self induced issues. I know my way around mechanical things enough to know not to push forward if in doubt and Ultima does not do themselves any favors with their shabby instructions. But their product looked pretty well built.
The price of the Ultima was just over 500.00 the price of a Baker is just under 3,000.00 we will see how wise a decision it turns out to be

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
misterfred,differ all you like,,, no problem....my point is that the quality is all over the board,, inconsistent is my observations the only ones i see are ones with problems... not all have the same problems... then getting replacement parts is problematic... sometimes Harley or Baker parts can be substituted if the mechanic knows what he is looking at...
ultima trannies are a crap shoot

so,yeah it.will last a while,, behind any engine but it will break at some point,,, the 5 speed is a copy of harleys trans,,the 6 speed is a copy of the eaarly baker trans... the gears anshafts appear to be cast,, whereas bakers are machined from bar stock...
Maybe I should have been more clear tall terry. I have a 6 speed in a five speed case. However... I have had zero issues with it for 17542 miles. I get what your saying but I have had no issues

·
Registered
9,333 Posts
that is exactly what im saying. you may or may not have an issue..
all 6 speed overdrives are in 5 speed cases,, the door is thicker and recessed to allow room for the extra 2 gears,, and a shaft is added in the door,, for the extra shift fork
6 speeds use all the same gaskets, seals and bearings as 5 speeds,, parts for the 6th gear
are obviously not in the 5 speeds pàrts catalogs...

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yup I hear ya Terry and Im going into it knowing its more of a gamble than a Baker for example. Just don't hit me with the "I told you so" If I should crap out on it (knock on wood) and need help down the road haha.

Is there a break in period and process for new transmission gear sets?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Ok I got the heat set in the case and everything sins good.

When I put the drum assembly on top I line up the shifter forks in their grooves and bolt it down. I can’t get it to shift through any gears, it moves some back and forth but it hits a wall of sorts and won’t actually shift to another gear and I can’t then spin the main shaft.

Any thoughts what I’m doing wrong?

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
sounds like drum is out of alignment. pull it back out check gears are spinning freely, check your dowel alignment for the drum supports then reinstall.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Can the drum be out of alignment but still have all the forks fit in their slots? I don’t see anything to adjust on the drum assembly. I can rotate it so they detent is on a different lobe on the end but then I have to move the forks to line up before the drum falls down into place.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts