V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to take the 6 gal tank from a 2008 Electra glide and and put it on a 2006 with out having to modify anything?

Steve

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm afraid not. The engine mount was changed in the 2008 model year from the upper middle of the frame to the front of the frame to accomodate the 6 gal tank.

·
Registered
789 Posts
You would also have to get a new seat. The mounting on the front of the seat was changed in 08 with the 6 gallon tank. Either a new seat or maybe you could change the front mounting system.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
The fuel pumps are totally different too. 08+ have a round hole in the tank for the pump 07- have oval style. You'll need to look at aftermarket tanks if you want to go 6 gal capacity...or if you just want the look of the bigger tank then Bad Dad sells tanks shrouds that will fit over your existing tank to make it look like a stretched one...

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
The 6 gallon tank can be mounted on earlier frames, but with many changes and welding on the frame.

The motor mounting locations were changed along with the location for the coil.
The Fuel Tank and seat points mounting points were moved. The seat was changed to make room for the new tank. The seat from '08 and later will not fit, not have the same mounting locations without large changes. They are not even close.

To change the mounting locations for the motor, coil, and seat will require removing the motor to cut the old locations and weld the new one in place.
The 6 gallon tank has made the '08 frame a "One Year" frame.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
I thought the 08 tanks up were all the same....thought the frame change was in 09. Anything is possible to make work...it's just the 'cost effective' bit....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the reply guys, thought it might be a easy upgrade to get a bit more range but thats out of the question for now I guess.

Steve

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not as elegant, but a Reda gas can...fits in a bag, and holds a gallon. About 40 bucks, shipped.

Alan

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
Not as elegant, but a Reda gas can...fits in a bag, and holds a gallon. About 40 bucks, shipped.

Alan
I bought one of those "Reda" cans. I have had the flap in the end come off and the spout fall apart. I have only had it for 4 months. Very cheap in construction for the price charged.

·
ASA Lives
600 Posts
I bought one of those "Reda" cans. I have had the flap in the end come off and the spout fall apart. I have only had it for 4 months. Very cheap in construction for the price charged.
I emailed "Reda" to let them know what happened.
The apologized and sent me a new filler neck.

·
Premium Member
6,900 Posts
And dangerous.
they are not allowed in any IBA competition ,for that very reason..
if you have to stop and take the can out out of a saddle bag,then pour it in the tank,put it back in the saddle bag,(everything smells like gas now):spank:
what have you gained? Now you have two fuel stops for every 6 gal of gas.
you could go farther /faster in a day with a 5gal tank.
if you buy one for the just in case times,I guarantee you will run out of gas at some point.
you will start pushing it,knowing you have the extra bottle in the saddle bag.
I can't sacrifice the space even if they were safe.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts