V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A kid at the stereo shop told me that he can fit a 6 1/2" speaker in a FLHT fairing. Specifically a Clarion speaker that has a shallow profile or a flatter face.
I sure would like to be able to get 6 1/2s in there.
Anyone try this?
Any experience with Clarion speakers?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Hell, I fit four 4.25" J&M speakers in my '89 on my own and it was only desgined to accept 2 speakers. You should give it a try!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yes.

I modified the inner fairing to act as the speaker grill and the additional 2 speakers are located directly in front of my clutch and brake levers. The shape of the outer fairing in that area provides clearance for the depth of the speakers.

Pioneer am/fm/cd/mp3 with four 4.25" J&M's. It works very well, and you really need to look close at the bike to see there are 2 additional speakers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
radio bracket

did you have a radio bracket to mount the DIN size pioneer, or did you make one or what? i have a standard with no radio, and do not know what is inside the fairing? Any advice would be great.

Brad Schmidt
04 FLHTPI

·
Registered
404 Posts
Mine's an '89. I had to fab all of it, including the wiring harness mods. ;)

For the '04, no worries--you can get the radio right from Biketronics, (Sony or Pioneer am/fm/cd/mp3) It is much cheaper and performs better than the factory radio (IMHO) and uses the factory hand controls/ wiring harnes.

The HD dealer will have the stock Radio Bracket and associated HW along with the hand control wiring harness that you can order. Then just get a Set of Speakers, (HogTunes,J&M, Sony Explodes, whatever you like ) bolt them in and your in business.

I know it gets said a lot, but the most valuable tools I have in my Garage are the HD Factory Service manual and the HD factory parts manual. They make life a million times easier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
radio bracket

Thanks. I did order the manuals last friday, when I picked up the bike. They should be here pretty quick. I am just anxious to get a radio in!

I think i am going to skip the handlebar controls as the FLITPI does not have it, and just wire the mute wire on the radio to the siren switch, so I can just toggle the speakers on and off.

Brad

·
Registered
165 Posts
I upgraded my speakers with HOG TUNES. These speakers are awsome for sound and the company has the best service of ANY business I have ever dealt with.

they run about 107.00 for two shipped to you door, and most of the time you will get shipping on the same day as your order.

Regards,

Bill

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Pez just came out with the 2ohm HogTunes speakers for the 2006 models also. Those should be interesting!

I've got 5 1/4" Boston Acoustics in mine, they work pretty good.

I'd like to see how someone could fit a 6 1/2" speaker in the stock fairing mounts, I would love to have those instead of the 5 1/4"!!

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Cryptoboy said:
Pez just came out with the 2ohm HogTunes speakers for the 2006 models also. Those should be interesting!

I've got 5 1/4" Boston Acoustics in mine, they work pretty good.

I'd like to see how someone could fit a 6 1/2" speaker in the stock fairing mounts, I would love to have those instead of the 5 1/4"!!
Diddo to that...If Pez or someone comes up with a transition bracket to allow it to mount, I'm all over it.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
When fitting larger speakers, one of the things you need to watch for is the installed speaker depth -some are a LOT deeper than others.

I have a Dragonfly fairing which is almost identical to the stock HD fairing speaker wise except it is set up to accept 6.5" speakers. I originally tried to use Rockford Fosgate 6.5" speakers, which bolted in perfectly but when I tried to reassemble the fairing the magnet was hitting the outer fairing by about 1/4" so the two fairing halves would not fit quite flush.

I then tried a set of 6.5" Sony X-PLOD's & they fit perfectly(Alpine's would fit also).

~John

·
Registered
168 Posts
John, I just ordered a set of the new Hogtunes speakers for my SG. I sure would like more info on that inside the fairing amp that you mentioned.
Mike

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have to say that if you are trying to use 6.5 inch speakers as described above, you will find that they will not work with the factory grill/mounts, etc. The sony Xplod speakers, Alpines, etc, do appear to bolt to the grill mount, and are shallow enough to work with the fairing, however when they are bolted to the stock speaker mounts the surround of the speaker is crushed against it, which severly impairs the performance of the speaker.

I have likewise found this with the majority of non harley specific 5.25 inch speakers, which fit better but still provide a distorted rattled sound.

I am using pioneer coaxial speakers and used a Rotozip tool to expand the opening in the stock speaker mount by about 1/16th of an inch (one blades width of the cutter) which lets the pioneer 5.25's move absolutley freely, and let me say that they sound great.

I have also found that it is pretty straight forward to make a radio mount out of the filler bucket that comes in the standard. This is accomplished by cutting the back out of it for the wires to pass through, and cutting about 3/8ths of an inch off of the front of it. Then trace the front of it on the back of a black peice of 1/16 plastic that has a din hole in the middle. this will allow the bucket to support the radio and for it to slide back and make the radio flush with the opening. I then just used a piece of cut aluminum channel stock with a hole in the middle to hold the radio in the back, with a screw. (m5 by 30mm for my clarion stereo). A bit washer would work as well.

I chose the clarion radio because it has a wired remote that can be hacked to the stereo controls on the bike, and a integrated IPOD interface. the Ipod lives in one of the saddlebags. Worked out great.

This is just my opinion and from my personal experience.

Brad Schmidt
04 FLHTPI

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Excellent info Brad. :thumbsup: Thanks.
I have a pair of JL Audio 6" speakers on the way. I measured the mounting holes and they will work, but the problem with the speaker clearance is something I hadn't anticipated. I should be able to modify the stock mounts, if not I may have to make new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
bradschmidt said:
I have also found that it is pretty straight forward to make a radio mount out of the filler bucket that comes in the standard. This is accomplished by cutting the back out of it for the wires to pass through, and cutting about 3/8ths of an inch off of the front of it. Then trace the front of it on the back of a black peice of 1/16 plastic that has a din hole in the middle. this will allow the bucket to support the radio and for it to slide back and make the radio flush with the opening. I then just used a piece of cut aluminum channel stock with a hole in the middle to hold the radio in the back, with a screw. (m5 by 30mm for my clarion stereo). A bit washer would work as well.

I chose the clarion radio because it has a wired remote that can be hacked to the stereo controls on the bike, and a integrated IPOD interface. the Ipod lives in one of the saddlebags. Worked out great.

This is just my opinion and from my personal experience.

Brad Schmidt
04 FLHTPI
Wish I'd have thought about cutting some off the front of the glove box. My deck does protrude from the face of the fairing some....but it hasn't been an issue. Which method did you use to interface your Clarion with your stock bike controls? I used the Pac-Swix learning infrared remote transponder.

Heres a shot of my setup.

·
Restless
1,672 Posts
That looks great Seahag since you got it all together now. So what speakers did you go with?

·
Registered
29 Posts
remote

Yes, the speaker surround thing is a less than obvious problem. Using the Rotozip, (a dremel would work fine) it was very easy to open the hole in the harley speaker mounts. I just put it on a flat table and set the cutter lenght to be just longer than the material, this way I did not have to take the grill cloth off, or any thing like that.

The clarion marine units have a wired remote available. I picked one up on ebay for 15.00, plus 6.00 shipping. I split it open and grafted wires onto the connections for each switch at the controller board, and then connected those to the handle bar controls.

The only thing I am a little less than happy with is that the radiused corners of the trim piece i made to fill between the radio and the fairing opening are not quite perfect. I will probrably end up using some black resin to smooth that transistion. The coolest thing is that the stock bucket really screws in nice, and has not any rattles, and totaly protects the radio from any moisture, etc.

I used a Testors Flat Black model paint PEN to paint the face of the radio and the trim ring flat black, it took about 20 minutes and really makes the radio look like it fits. I am sure I will have to touch it up at some point, but hey. I will take some pictures next time I have the fairing off. My camera is loaned out right now to a traveling friend.

Brad.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
timbo said:
That looks great Seahag since you got it all together now. So what speakers did you go with?
Soundstream EGS5.2 for the mains & Boss TW-19 one inch super polymer tweeters.

I did fit the Pyramid Amp/EQ in on top of the stereo. Its a nice snug fit in the fairing. Having the EQ feature was really nice. I was able to dial the 30htz slider all the way down, the 60 htz slider all but one click from the bottom, then boost the 120 htz and 250 htz bands for more midbass punch. With the damaging, distortion causing frequencies (for a 5" speaker) dialed back, I was able to crank the stereos bass setting all the way up; giving the speakers a nice warm tone, instead of tinny high ends only.

Thanks Timbo...I got a lot of my inspiration from your results.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts