V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i use a 55/100 watt halogen bulb in my 92 fatboy ?

it has a stock electrical system, but i normally ride on full beam during daylight hours

just wanna be a little more visible

·
Infidel
1,428 Posts
I would be real leery of using a 100w bulb with stock wiring! Running the hi-beam for extended periods would risk frying wires and melting connectors. Osram makes a 70/60w (70w=hi-beam) bulb that throws a lot more light and is much more friendly to stock wiring if you're wanting an upgrade.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I seem to remember you guys in the US use both filements on main beam. We in the UK switch between the two.

Upping your wattage may burn the reflector so it goes a little yellow. I did this in a car with some 180watt main beams, The wireing was ok though.

I did have one problem, i got pulled because i did not dip my light (i forgot). The traffic cop was not to pleased, asked me if i was trying to burn his f****G retina's out lol. They were his exact words as well lol

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
hawkeye48 said:
I seem to remember you guys in the US use both filements on main beam. We in the UK switch between the two.

Upping your wattage may burn the reflector so it goes a little yellow. I did this in a car with some 180watt main beams, The wireing was ok though.

I did have one problem, i got pulled because i did not dip my light (i forgot). The traffic cop was not to pleased, asked me if i was trying to burn his f****G retina's out lol. They were his exact words as well lol
Some of us do wire the light to do that, but it is not legal. neither is a 55/100 watt bulb. I use one in my RK with no problem. My indy has run his 4 yrs with no problem and on his previous bike no problem. I wouldn't tie the beams together.-2$en#e-

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I put the 55/100 halogen in a Dyna headlight one time. I loved the extra watts. I ran it that way for nearly two years. One day while I had my headlight apart for other revisions I noticed the melted insulation at the connection...it wasn't a pretty sight. #@SasF# I finally added the driving lights and went back to a standard watt halogen in the headlight.

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
I burned the reflector in my light, as well as melted the plug at the bulb running a 55/100 halogen bulb. I normally always run the high beam during the day, and our hot summers and long waits at the traffic lights riding home from work is probably what helped that along.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think a lot of the good and bad results we get from running higher wattage bulbs rely on 3 things. 1, whether the reflector/lens is made of plastic or glass, 2, whether we've altered the wiring to burn both the high and low beam at the same time when the hi beam is set to on and 3, whether there's any ventilation in the headlight assembly that allows the heat to escape, allowing the bulb and headlamp assy. to run cooler.

I run a high watt Osram Xenon, 60/130 in an Adjure blue dot style headlamp. I've got some minor haze on the reflector inside the headlight assembly. I have found that when installing a new bulb, it's better to put it in the plug and turn it on for several minutes to reach op temp. before installing it in the headlight. Seems the bulb "cures" or burns off a factory coating from the glass surface that otherwise gives the reflector/ lens a smokey appearance if this step is missed.

Once I clean the smokey haze from the lens and reflector, everything is fine. Admittedly, the stock wire to the bulb plug is marginal when running both the high beam and the low beam at the sametime. Best case would be to wire in a relay with a heavier aftermarket plug / wire assy. made to withstand the higher current draw and heat. I also like to use dielectric grease in the plug connections as well. Helps dissipate heat, prevent corrosion of the connections and reduces resistance and arcing which causes additional heat too.

Hope this helps.

V1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts