V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all again!
I am a pretty good wrench. I have worked on my own vehicles since I've owed them. But this is my first Harley. That is why I wanted an american bike. So I could handle the repairs. I was at the dealer the other day and was told I would need to bring in the bike for the 5000 check-up. I bought the bike used with 3500 miles and the factory warr. is gone. So why should they have to do the fluid changes? How many of you do your own periodic maintenance? I have service manual coming for the specs. I am not one to just constantly turn screws to be doing something, but if it needs an adjustment I sure would feel better Knowing it was done to spec. I do not have a local dealer or a personal relationship with anyone at the closest one 50 miles away. What I do have are plenty of friends to go to for advise or help, just like y'all! Once the manual gets here I will get all the fluids changed. Probably to synthetic other than the engine oil for now.
So really, what all needs messing with at 5000 miles? Thanks-Rob

·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey logical, I know what you mean! Thanks for the link to the previous thread on this subject. That pretty much nails it down for me! Thanks-Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts