V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Free Idears Available
2,172 Posts
JFScheck said:

Someone better back me up here in case I am wrong but DO NOT CHANGE YOUR OIL AT 500 miles!

I was told that you need that "break-in" oil for the first 1000 miles to get everything all "set".

After re-building many car engines I was curious about this, but so far my dealer service shop has been pretty damn straight and good with the points.
Yes, you need break-in oil during that period but all that means is don't yet switch to synthetic...it doesn't mean that dirty oil is good.

The point is stay with dinosaur oil during the first 1000 miles or so....it's optional and up to the individual whether he wants clean or dirty oil between 500 and 1000 miles.

HD uses standard dinosaur oil in a new bike...there is no longer such a thing as special break-in oil.

I say change engine oil only at 500 but use dinosaur oil ....and then at 1000 miles change all fluids to synthetic...some say wait even longer....I switched at 1000.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.