V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I ain't right
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 FLHRCI has a little over 50K. AT 18K cam tensioner failed, took out oil pump. About 1500 miles later thrust washer failed, trashed jugs, pistons. Everything was covered under under my extented warrenty.

Now it's time to replace the cam tensioners, little pieces are showing up in the filter. Since I'll have the bike down and apart what else should I be looking at replacing ? Are there any upgrades I should be looking at ?

Engine is stock with exception of Rinehart true duals, DFo and a Big Sucker.

I'm hoping to get through the next few weeks of toy runs then just tear down the bike and take care of all the litle things I've been putting off.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
I'd get rid of the dang tensioners and go gear drive cams. After that, just change oil regularly and ride.

·
Let er rip!
2,876 Posts
@gree:

Only after you celebrate reaching 50,000 miles!!!

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
Putting in a gear drive doesn't end routine maintenance.

I would change the inner cam bearings to a full compliment style bearing. Heres some more on that ... http://www.bigboyzcycles.com/showthread.php?t=88

Also I would change the lifters every 30-40K miles. If you keep the chain tensioners, change them and the lifters every 30K miles. It is cheap insurance.

·
<><
3,971 Posts
springer- said:
Also I would change the lifters every 30-40K miles. If you keep the chain tensioners, change them and the lifters every 30K miles. It is cheap insurance.
Springer, what lifters do you prefer? Any difference in that preference with stock vs high lift cams? Any thoughts/experience with S&S lifters? Thanks!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Pr3vs56

PR3VS56 said:
Springer, what lifters do you prefer? Any difference in that preference with stock vs high lift cams? Any thoughts/experience with S&S lifters? Thanks!
Get those Roller lifters from GMR!

@gree:

Just thought I'd mention it, those roller lifters that GMR sells are guarenteed for life. If they fail they will be replaced free of charge. But that doesn't include any other parts.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Terminknotter

@gree:

with what the others say.. Do the gear drive cams, and the bearing replacement in the cam chest. While your at it get a set of Stainless Steel cover screws, some new lifters and some new pushrods and a high volume oil pump. You should be good to go.

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
PR3VS56 said:
Bean uses stock HD lifters for a majority of the builds.

·
Premium Member
637 Posts
Roadie said:
@gree:

with what the others say.. Do the gear drive cams, and the bearing replacement in the cam chest. While your at it get a set of Stainless Steel cover screws, some new lifters and some new pushrods and a high volume oil pump. You should be good to go.
And why yer-at-it, REPLACE THE WHOLE DARN ENGINE,PAINT,TIRES,ect...%[email protected] :ntlgh:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 04 Springer which just tripped the 30,000 mark. I paid $17,200 for it and I am happy with the purchase. This winter,I am checking the cam chain tensioner.

Not trying to be funny but what I am hearing is the lifters need changing? Engine is running quiet for a Harley,no problems at all.

How do I know if lifters need replacing? Thanks for any replys

·
Administrator
11,242 Posts
You can check the lifters by checking for play in the needle (roller) bearings. They should have NO up and down movement. IMO, I would just replace them, cheap insurance. Because they may check good now doesn't mean they will be good in 10 or 15 thousand miles and when they go bad it can be a costly repair.

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I got GMR altered lifters. But it does seem like a lota people like stock. Doc, Hillside, Springer. That should tell you something.

Would you replace bearings, or just drop in new lifters?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Springer, Just to touch base. Now have over 56,000 on the 03. Since May 30th, over 16,000 since the BB & port job, you & Bean did for me. Thanks for your top notch work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts