V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for feedback on changing up to a6 speed on my '04 cvo electraglide. Stay with the MoCo screaming eagle or an aftermarket like a Baker.

·
Gearhead
1,114 Posts
The lowest quality trans I would use is a rivera primo... rev-tec and ultima I would not use. I have installed them though at a customers request.

·
Registered
16,752 Posts
The reviews I've read on the Ultima were all positive.

I'm just here for the beer.

·
Laughing Poseur
5,253 Posts
The reviews I've read on the Ultima were all positive.

I'm just here for the beer.
Yep and the RT's aren't half bad either for the money....ran a RT 6 speed gearset behind a 140hp to the rear wheel chop I had for years without any issues at all.....no way I spend the stupid money Baker wants for a trans.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
baker,, Rivera, and then ultima in that order,, depending on your finances and needs,,, a CVO without serious performance mods,,, 135+ rear wheel hp, power, doesn't need the baker... you may want it,, and be able to afford it,, but you don't need it...you can use a builders kit from baker, rather than the entire trans...

·
Registered
55 Posts
baker,, Rivera, and then ultima in that order,, depending on your finances and needs,,, a CVO without serious performance mods,,, 135+ rear wheel hp, power, doesn't need the baker... you may want it,, and be able to afford it,, but you don't need it...you can use a builders kit from baker, rather than the entire trans...
Yes I have S&S T124 640 Cams Drago 2-1
140/139 torque and Hp on 2006 SG still running stock HD tranny. I run it hard No problems. If it does tear up im going with Bakers 5-speed rebuild kit.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,705 Posts
for almost 3 grand for a baker and under 600.00 for Ultima with a good track record I am leaning towards an Ultima myself

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input. Mechanics here recommend a Baker DD6 gear-set with the high torque bearings. Using existing case. Not cheap though. Looking for a more relaxed ride at hwy speeds.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with your mechanics.
Baker DD6 with a high torque bearing.
Money not being an issue of course.

I did it with a builders kit using my old stock 5 speed case and added the SP9 Baker clutch and the Baker fine tooth manual chain tensioner.

It has been a rock solid build with no problems.
I can run 85 MPH at +/- 3,000 RPM

That 6th gear if you choose the real OD ratio is excellent for Hwy cruising speeds.
1-5 stays pretty much as it is now.

Do a search on this website for a thread called 6 speed upgrade.
it explains some of the options on the gear ratios and how they relate to how you drive and how much HP you have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts