V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
My motel in Cheyenne Wyoming included a breakfast. I left my motel and headed south. I went to Loveland Colorado and headed west into the mountains.

This is highway 34 going through the Big Thompson Canyon.

This next picture is of the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park.

Heading west brought me into the Rocky Mountain National Park. Once again I used my annual card to enter the park.

This next picture is of Ypsilon Mountain.

I rode on the Trail Ridge Road through the Rocky Mountain Park.

As the elevation increased the temperature decreased. It was 40° while I was up on top of the world. In Colorado we have lots of mountain passes that are over 11,000 feet. Trail Ridge Road is the highest at 12,183 feet but what makes this road unique is it is not a mountain pass that quickly descends. The road stays over 11,000 feet for miles.
Here's more info regarding our mountain passes:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mountain_passes_in_Colorado

This is one great motorcycle road.

After Rocky Mountain Park I head west on Highway 40. In the small town of Kremmling Colorado I stop into the Grand Adventure Brewing Company for lunch.

As a reminder here's the GPS map of my route:
https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1ff4d5d697e0209bed&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

I stay for the night at a motel in Rifle CO.

For dinner I eat at the Shooters Grill.

This place has a gun and 2nd amendment theme.

The waitresses are armed with pistols holstered on their hips.

I stay at the La Quinta Inn.

To be continued ....

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Continuation of Sept. 12th in Central Colorado.

Colorado Highway 40

This next picture is Finger Rock on highway 131.

Route 27 is a beautiful backroad I found out about on my Butler Map.

Here's my Harley in Kremmling CO

I stay for the night at a La Quinta in Rifle CO.

To be continued ...

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Friday the 13th

I'm staying in Rifle Colorado. I check my GPS and it says I can be home in 4.5 hours. But I want to go over Grand Mesa, see the Black Canyon of the Gunnison and go down highway 149. All these waypoints seem to be on the way but now the GPS says it will take over 8 hours. That's almost twice as long as the shortest path.

Here's my GPS Route: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1ff4d5d697e0209bed&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Rifle is on I70. You can see I'm only going half way across Colorado but it takes all day. Colorado only has one Interstate in the mountains. The highways are slow and wind through the mountains.

From Rifle I head up the Grand Mesa. It's a great view from up here.

Next I go along the north rim of the Black Canyon of the Gunnison.

Dams have been built to create a series of reservoirs in the canyon.

As I reached highway 50 I rode along Blue Mesa Reservoir.

Then I turned south onto highway 194.
This next picture is the Lake Fork of the Gunnison.

This mountain is Bristol Head.

I stopped in Creed, a small mountain town for lunch.

Then I got onto highway 160 and went over Wolf Creek Pass. This is a beautiful pass but I didn't take any pictures since it's only an hour from my home and I see it often.

Then I got home at about 7:00 PM.

The END

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Useless facts about my trip

I rode 4277 miles over 2 weeks. I paid $355.46 for 109.537 gallons of gas.
I averaged 39.07 MPG. When I'm home I usually get 42 MPG for local travel.
Going across Nebraska on the interstate I only got 33.064 MPG. The faster I go the worse my gas mileage is. This is more true for motorcycles than cars. Motorcycles have horrendous aerodynamics. Normally cars get much better gas mileage on the highway. But motorcycles get worse gas mileage on the highway because the aerodynamics become more important for motorcycles.

Here's some interesting facts:
The average passenger car on the road today has a drag coefficient (the measure of air resistance) of about 0.3 (a lower number being better). Even a large, blocky car like a full size SUV or my ’87 Westfalia camper rate around 0.4. A racing motorcycle with a smooth, full fairing and professional rider in a full tuck? 0.6. In other words, those 5’9” jockeys crunched up behind the windscreen of a tiny Moto3 grand prix bike create more drag in the air than a Chevrolet Suburban.
Source: https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

My 2009 Electra Glide now has 113,000 miles on it.
Where's my next long trip? Next year I plan on taking a trip across the USA, twice. I'm thinking of riding the whole length of the Lincoln Highway.

·
Registered
113 Posts
September 1st

I left my motel and headed north. I followed the Snake River.

Then I went up the Teton Pass highway just because my Butler Motorcycle map rated it so high.

Next I entered the Grand Teton National Park. The entry fee was $30. I bought an annual entrance fee for $70. I could use this to enter any National Park up to a year from now. My annual fee paid for itself on this trip alone. It would have cost $150 to pay for each park separately that I went to on this one trip. That would have almost been twice as much.

The above picture is of the Grand Teton, the largest mountain in the picture. To the left are the South Teton and the Middle Teton. The Teton mountains were named by French trappers. Grand Teton is French and literally means the grand t*t. I honestly don't see the resemblance. To tell you the truth I think it's been a while since these Frenchmen have been with a woman.

This is Mount Moran.

From the Grand Teton National Park I went directly into Yellowstone National Park.
Here's Old Faithful

This next picture is of the Old Faithful Inn.

This was Labor Day Weekend, not a good time to visit Yellowstone. The traffic was terrible and Yellowstone is a HUGE park. It covers a large part of northwestern Wyoming. Driving across Yellowstone at 35 miles an hour is like driving across New Jersey at that speed. I was planning on staying in Yellowstone for another day but changed my plans and headed for the northeastern park entrance.

There were lots of Bison (don't call them buffalo. They get very sensitive if you don't use the politically correct term).

I left Yellowstone Park.

I use Butler Motorcycle maps to plan my route. Beartooth Pass is a great motorcycle road well worth tracking down.

Beartooth Highway goes up over some rocky mountains.

Here's a lake near the top of Beartooth Pass.

I have to reach my motel in Cody Wyoming. I'd like to get there before dark but it's getting late.
I take Highway 296, also called the Chief Joseph Highway.

This is another great motorcycle road.

I get into Cody WY just as the sun is going down. I don't like riding after dark. You can't see the scenery and the risk of hitting wildlife increases.

I like Cody. It's a small western town that reminds me of Durango. The restaurants are locally owned with few chains.

This is my home for the night.

To be continued ...

·
Registered
113 Posts
September 1st

I left my motel and headed north. I followed the Snake River.

Then I went up the Teton Pass highway just because my Butler Motorcycle map rated it so high.

Next I entered the Grand Teton National Park. The entry fee was $30. I bought an annual entrance fee for $70. I could use this to enter any National Park up to a year from now. My annual fee paid for itself on this trip alone. It would have cost $150 to pay for each park separately that I went to on this one trip. That would have almost been twice as much.

The above picture is of the Grand Teton, the largest mountain in the picture. To the left are the South Teton and the Middle Teton. The Teton mountains were named by French trappers. Grand Teton is French and literally means the grand t*t. I honestly don't see the resemblance. To tell you the truth I think it's been a while since these Frenchmen have been with a woman.

This is Mount Moran.

From the Grand Teton National Park I went directly into Yellowstone National Park.
Here's Old Faithful

This next picture is of the Old Faithful Inn.

This was Labor Day Weekend, not a good time to visit Yellowstone. The traffic was terrible and Yellowstone is a HUGE park. It covers a large part of northwestern Wyoming. Driving across Yellowstone at 35 miles an hour is like driving across New Jersey at that speed. I was planning on staying in Yellowstone for another day but changed my plans and headed for the northeastern park entrance.

There were lots of Bison (don't call them buffalo. They get very sensitive if you don't use the politically correct term).

I left Yellowstone Park.

I use Butler Motorcycle maps to plan my route. Beartooth Pass is a great motorcycle road well worth tracking down.

Beartooth Highway goes up over some rocky mountains.

Here's a lake near the top of Beartooth Pass.

I have to reach my motel in Cody Wyoming. I'd like to get there before dark but it's getting late.
I take Highway 296, also called the Chief Joseph Highway.

This is another great motorcycle road.

I get into Cody WY just as the sun is going down. I don't like riding after dark. You can't see the scenery and the risk of hitting wildlife increases.

I like Cody. It's a small western town that reminds me of Durango. The restaurants are locally owned with few chains.

This is my home for the night.

To be continued ...
when i went there in June we decided not to go to the pass as a snow storm was in our way. it was the only thing we didn't do on our trip that we planned to do. great photos as always. The place with all the bison is Lamar Valley. we saw the same herd there. must have been ~300 head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Useless facts about my trip

I rode 4277 miles over 2 weeks. I paid $355.46 for 109.537 gallons of gas.
I averaged 39.07 MPG. When I'm home I usually get 42 MPG for local travel.
Going across Nebraska on the interstate I only got 33.064 MPG. The faster I go the worse my gas mileage is. This is more true for motorcycles than cars. Motorcycles have horrendous aerodynamics. Normally cars get much better gas mileage on the highway. But motorcycles get worse gas mileage on the highway because the aerodynamics become more important for motorcycles.

Here's some interesting facts:

Source: https://canadamotoguide.com/2016/05/04/motorcycle-aerodynamics/

My 2009 Electra Glide now has 113,000 miles on it.
Where's my next long trip? Next year I plan on taking a trip across the USA, twice. I'm thinking of riding the whole length of the Lincoln Highway.
i'm thinking of heading up to Maine then over into Canada and then back down. what time of year are you thinking of doing this. do you camp out? makes it way cheaper! i will be starting from Birmingham and then heading north on I65.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts